Program Coordinator Named for Madison Scouts

Let me qualify my post by stating that I wish Madson the best in 2007 and beyond. Matt Gregg is a great guy and he is a former Scout, but those are not the only qualities one should look for when trying to get Madison into a higher ranking, as the BOD is expecting.

He is a product of Scott Stewart and continuosly preached that the judges opinions do not matter. He supported not attending critques. Part of the activity is politically guided, we would be silly to think otherwise. I hope that Jeff, Mark, Matt, and the other leaders in Madison will realize that the judges and DCI matter.

I expected a big splash from Madison after firing Salas, and so far my attitude is tepid at best. The poster who said that the silence is deafening may be misinterpretting the lack of posts about Madison. Madison should be a world class corps again. So far, they have hired two Divison II people. It could be that some people are just shaking their heads and waiting for June to see how things will wash out.

This is not negativity, it's just a realistic look at the situation.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me qualify my post by stating that I wish Madson the best in 2007 and beyond. Matt Gregg is a great guy and he is a former Scout, but those are not the only qualities one should look for when trying to get Madison into a higher ranking, as the BOD is expecting.

He is a product of Scott Stewart and continuosly preached that the judges opinions do not matter. He supported not attending critques. Part of the activity is politically guided, we would be silly to think otherwise. I hope that Jeff, Mark, Matt, and the other leaders in Madison will realize that the judges and DCI matter.

I expected a big splash from Madison after firing Salas, and so far my attitude is tepid at best. The poster who said that the silence is deafening may be misinterpretting the lack of posts about Madison. Madison should be a world class corps again. So far, they have hired two Divison II people. It could be that some people are just shaking their heads and waiting for June to see how things will wash out.

This is not negativity, it's just a realistic look at the situation.

Drum Corps need more Alumni on staff & less bando's & professional costume designers. The Madison BOD (& alumni) were not happy with the direction the corps was taking under Sal's leadership, which was one of strange uniforms, very ordinary & boring music, & an alumni base that was becoming less & less interested in participating & supporting the Scouts. There is no doubt that the Madison Alumni Corps had an impact on the Scouts BOD. Needless to say, the Scouts will be a more...um...masculine corps than what they had become...& in 2007 you will see Men in uniforms instead of dancers in cotumes. Gosh how I hope this is the beginning of a return to vintage drum corps.

the Scouts will be a more...um...masculine corps than what they had become...& in 2007 you will see Men in uniforms instead of dancers in cotumes.

What a bigoted post. My hope is that you don't represent the views of most Scouts' alumni.

What “bandos” did Madison have on their staff?

You missed the point of my post. It was not to rip Matt or anyone else, it was merely pointing out that some observers may not e excited, and that only time will tell.

Congratulations to Matt. I marched with both him and his

brother Alex. In fact, I helped alex write drill for

the Junior Scouts in 91. Anyway, Matt is extremely talented,

intelligent and like Jeff and Mark, bleeds forrest green!

Elvis is indeed back in the building! :P

Drum Corps need more Alumni on staff & less bando's & professional costume designers. The Madison BOD (& alumni) were not happy with the direction the corps was taking under Sal's leadership, which was one of strange uniforms, very ordinary & boring music, & an alumni base that was becoming less & less interested in participating & supporting the Scouts. There is no doubt that the Madison Alumni Corps had an impact on the Scouts BOD. Needless to say, the Scouts will be a more...um...masculine corps than what they had become...& in 2007 you will see Men in uniforms instead of dancers in cotumes. Gosh how I hope this is the beginning of a return to vintage drum corps.

Great so we can hear really loud, bad playing with crappy drill and return to the all latin jazz station all the time. I find the inbreeding but the Scouts to be laughable at times. What happened last time there were all alumni on staff? Oh yea, they dropped out of the top 12 in a steady nose dive from 99-2002.

Great so we can hear really loud, bad playing with crappy drill and return to the all latin jazz station all the time. I find the inbreeding but the Scouts to be laughable at times. What happened last time there were all alumni on staff? Oh yea, they dropped out of the top 12 in a steady nose dive from 99-2002.

hahahahahaha

<sigh>

First of all, I don't remember a Madison hornline that played "badly". Do you?

Second, while I agree that in the late 90s/early 2000s the drill could have been better,

I wouldn't call it crappy. If I was one of those drill designers or marchers and read that comment

I would be very offended to say the least. To say that the drill was less effective

than some of the higher placed corps, fine. But CRAPPY? Why don't you just come out

and say that "THEY SUCKED". it's basically the same thing.

Third, they only had 3 latin shows in the 90s. They also played Broadway, Big Band,

Film Scores (Pirate show and Cossack show) and 60s Jazz. But those latin shows

lit the crowd on fire, wouldn't you agree?

I've had the fortunate opportunity to work with Matt Gregg with Capitol Sound. He, in a word, is solid. I've also seen Jeff Spanos work as an instructor with PRC. He has grown tremendously since those days and his time with Yamaha, and around the activity should be an asset to the Scouts.

I'm just so glad the BOD didn't once again announce that the decision to hire Matt was made "after an exhaustive nationwide search" which everywhere else takes months to accomplish except in Madison, where they seem to have a time altering and search device that continually finds only Madison alums.