Bugles VS Trumpets

LSU GRAD 82

I personally like G but I'm tempted daily by Lord Band Leader and his brand spankin new Bb/F Brass. :sshh: :sos: I often dream, I mean have nightmares, of owning a full line of King Bando Horns.

Well, boss man, I buy lotto tickets with the thought to buy a new set of horns and drums (and a shiny truck to carry it all).

The problem is that I hear bugles in my head when I'm arranging. Yeah, I can hear trumpets and the like (I've composed for wind ensemble)--I just don't hear them when I'm arranging for drum & bugle corps. (And note that I don't hear electric bass or narration or singing or any other frou frou nastiness when arranging for drum and bugle corps, either.) The arrangements may sound fine if ported from bugle to trumpet; they're just native to bugles.

(That said, I am interested in hearing how the 3-valve b-flat bugles I saw on a manufacturer's site sound. Am I sliding to the Dark Side?)

First, I enjoy playing a Kanstul G three valve powerbore when I play with a drum corps. I had to use a DEG for a few weeks and was hatin' it big time.

Second, I've marched with Bb's. Lots of band experience (outdoors is outdoors). I enjoy my trumpet but not for marching.

Third, I use to love listening to the junior corps play. There was quality and power. There was just a taste of raw power that G bugles have that Bb's don't.

Fourth, I still like listening to the SOUND of a drum corps I just don't like the product anymore. Phantom has a tremendously powerful sound (thanks Kevin).

Fifth, It may define me as old but I miss that little taste of raw power. I used to get depressed if I couldn't go to DCI Finals. I would truly miss it. NOW, I don't blink an eye if I miss it. I haven't been to finals for 5 years.

Bb -vs- G? It only matters if what you put through them entertains the crowd or pleases the judges. I'll continue to entertain the crowd and hope the judges still enjoy a great show played well. I would rather listen to Empire Statesmen than most any junior corps because of the entertainment value. I am blessed to have the chance to stand in front of CorpsVets hornline at every rehearsal. Both are pure entertainment.

Hope to see many of you in Rochester in a couple of weeks. In the mean time, come out to 2 great shows in the Atlanta area this weekend.

Edited by BWEAR

Well, boss man, I buy lotto tickets with the thought to buy a new set of horns and drums (and a shiny truck to carry it all).

The problem is that I hear bugles in my head when I'm arranging. Yeah, I can hear trumpets and the like (I've composed for wind ensemble)--I just don't hear them when I'm arranging for drum & bugle corps. (And note that I don't hear electric bass or narration or singing or any other frou frou nastiness when arranging for drum and bugle corps, either.) The arrangements may sound fine if ported from bugle to trumpet; they're just native to bugles.

(That said, I am interested in hearing how the 3-valve b-flat bugles I saw on a manufacturer's site sound. Am I sliding to the Dark Side?)

Hey, is that you Larry?

Hey, is that you Larry?

Yes, boss--The Amazing, Ferocious Larry at your service!

Had a look at Kanstul's 3-valve bugles in G and would love to get to hear them all--are those what you're aiming for (you know, in the future, when we have money for that sort of thing)?

TAFL

Yes, boss--The Amazing, Ferocious Larry at your service!

Had a look at Kanstul's 3-valve bugles in G and would love to get to hear them all--are those what you're aiming for (you know, in the future, when we have money for that sort of thing)?

TAFL

Kanstul would be awsome. After I win the lottery we can go to Kanstul in person and have them make the Bugle line. We could even have them make a Flugal Bugle.

• 2 weeks later...
There is also something to be said for the level of talent coming into the drum corps community now and days. With high school and college music programs being as demanding as their are, using Bb and F horns makes it easier to utilize the players already finely tuned ear for that key, thus resulting in better musicality from the individual.

So what happens when these college music kids have to play a C trumpet or Eb alto,F mellos?

Guess what ,,they adapt and get a better education because of it.

Take a G bugle chart and give it to a line of Bb/F players of the same calibre (transposing the middle horns if necessary). I propose that it will not sound the same. Raise the key a major 6th and you might have a winner.

Trumpets vs. cornets - I still don't know why someone hasn't tried using cornets. To me it seems more logical and in keeping with the timbre of the rest of the brass ensemble. (It just occurred to me that there are at least 50 school band trumpet players to every one cornet player).

QUOTE(Braun452 @ Jul 29 2007, 11:46 PM)

There is also something to be said for the level of talent coming into the drum corps community now and days. With high school and college music programs being as demanding as their are, using Bb and F horns makes it easier to utilize the players already finely tuned ear for that key, thus resulting in better musicality from the individual.

So what happens when these college music kids have to play a C trumpet or Eb alto,F mellos?

Guess what ,,they adapt and get a better education because of it.

I agree with 'lips. In fact, I'll stretch that to include playing on a Bb trumpet in different keys. Playing in F will present different intonation problems than playing in A or C. Ear training is ear training - even back in the days of G-D bugles.

O.K.....here's my $.02 for what it's worth. This is just my observation from this years DCA prelims. Up until, and even after, MCL entered the frey and although in tune...I was able to pick out each indivduals playing performance. Good or bad I could point to each indivdual with no problem with the exception of the Buccaneers. Why you ask? Their horn line was 50% bigger than the average corps which really helps them pull it off. A G horn, on the other hand, seems not only to project better with less but also has a pattern of sound, if you will, that broadcasts in an all encompasing pattern as opposed to straight ahead. Confused yet? I know what I'm trying to say but may not be saying it so it's understandable. Just sayin.........Not trying to start any argument here.....just my opinion. Time for a nap :huh:

I know what I'm trying to say but may not be saying it so it's understandable. Just sayin

G bugles are like sharks with frekin lazer beams on their heads.

drevil.laser.jpg