Bugles VS Trumpets

LSU GRAD 82

Jeff, Kanstul did make a complete line of two valve G bugles VK used them in the late 80's to early 90's. I have two valve Kanstul contra in my possession. I have also seen a few two valve sopranos and a mellophone within the past three years.

IIRC, the ebay soprano was a pre-production prototype.

Sorry to drag up an old, hideous thread, but I had to. :P

Also, the Marine Drum & Bugle Corps purchased a new set of 2-valvers from Kanstul in the past few years.

Also, the Marine Drum & Bugle Corps purchased a new set of 2-valvers from Kanstul in the past few years.

Yes, again those were a special order. Fortunately, Zig still had the tooling. An 84 VK sop player had one made for himself in 2004 also.

Jeff, Kanstul did make a complete line of two valve G bugles VK used them in the late 80's to early 90's. I have two valve Kanstul contra in my possession. I have also seen a few two valve sopranos and a mellophone within the past three years.

IIRC, the ebay soprano was a pre-production prototype.

Sorry to drag up an old, hideous thread, but I had to. :P

Kanstul made two valve bugles for the Velvet Knights as early as 1984 or 1985, the were mostly unmarked.

And if you forward this post to everyone you know as an attachment in an email, Bill Gates and Microsoft will not only give you new horns and drums and uniforms, but each member will get a marching laptop.

b**bs Marching Laptop!

b**bs Marching Laptop!

I think the Cadets already use one. :P

There is also something to be said for the level of talent coming into the drum corps community now and days. With high school and college music programs being as demanding as their are, using Bb and F horns makes it easier to utilize the players already finely tuned ear for that key, thus resulting in better musicality from the individual. Plus, if you cant use a corps horn in the off season, you can still practice at home with the proper charts. You may think this is so insignificant when talking dollars and marketing, but dont be suprised if that detail made the decision easier for any corps to switch.

Can some of you tell me why most of the top corps have switched to trumpets. What prompted the change? What was wrong with Bugles? ( I'm a drummer )

Brain Bamage I'm guessing. :P

They were tempted by the Dark Emporer Lord Band Leader and turned to the Dark Side. :P

There is nothing wrong with Bugles. There is nothing wrong with Bugles. There is nothing wrong with Bugles. :wall: :ramd: :poke::peek: :lolhit: :sos: :laugh::bleah: ^OO^

You can still buy Bugles from 2 sources. Kanstul :worthy: and Dynasty :whistle: and if you talk real nice and give them some U.S. Currency, Kanstule will even build you some 2 valve Bugles like the Commandant's Own :worthy:

I personally like G but I'm tempted daily by Lord Band Leader and his brand spankin new Bb/F Brass. :sshh: :sos: I often dream, I mean have nightmares, of owning a full line of King Bando Horns.

Edited by Kansan

No, don't do it! Us little guys need the projection!

Niki, if you know about the superior projection of the G bugle, you ought to start paying one. It's fun, fun ,fun. :blink:

Ok, a couple of things I've seen come up many times on here. The first one is that bugles are "better made for playing outdoors." You can make trumpets the same bore as bugles and have the same effectiveness. I truly don't believe that there is any huge inherent advantage to a bugle or a trumpet, I will say as a brass player, musician, and educator that I believe the sound in corps has gotten better in the last 10 years, coinciding with the switching to Bb/F.

Secondly, many people are nailing it on the head. I was once told "most corps are non-profit organizations, but would rather not be" Reselling old horns to former members or (you've been waiting for it...) Middle/High School bands is a good way to get some money. It just makes sense to have something that a larger group uses