Troop is officially multi-key!

Can you tell us which company you're getting your new unis from?

Galen;

Sorry, we don't want to announce that just yet. Soon - promise. Very soon. Expect more big news from the corps next week. Our focus for this weekend is the membership booth/recruiting effort at three Colorado Bandmaster's events.

Honestly folks, we can't begin to describe the excitement in Casper with everything that is falling into place thanks to the hard work and diligence of many folks behind the scenes. Our heartfelt thanks goes out to each of you who have supported us over the last 12 months, let alone the last 49+ years. We can't wait for the 2007 season to begin.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO most of the 'sound' created by a horn line is due to the players' skills...the arrangements...and the type of sound the staff is looking to create through the rehearsal process.

Bore size and bell size/flare...will have some impact, of course, but today the marching brass built by the major manufacturers are similar to the old G horns in those areas.

Just MHO.

In addition, the harmonics of a matched G line work differently than the harmonics created with horns in different fundamental keys, i.e. Bb anf F.

Garry

I'm glad they're still alive and all, but I'm not going to lie, I didn't smile or anything when I read this. I could give my input on G/Bb somewhere else, since it doesn't really belong here, but suffice it to say that I wish it didn't have to turn out this way. Oh well, good luck and all to them anyway.

sorry to say that theres a point where "competitive" will trump "tradition"

as long as Pioneer plays on G bugles, they'll be in last place. now i have to duck the incoming flames...

Don't worry...in any given year there's only about 25-30 of them horn players in Pioneer anyway.

Now ducking behind you.

The deal-breaker on teh G's is this: If you have to spend all your winter camps and the first month of the summer adjusting to instruments that kids aren't used to playing (remember, f above the staff plays sharp, but bottom E is flat....), you are at a competitive disadvantage.

Forget the esoterics and sentimentality arguments. It's pure practicality.

Yep.

The sound difference is minimal, more an issue of the fact that the bass is pitched lower on G lines than Bb. The notion that Bb is "sterile" compared to G is 100% unfounded opinion.

well its a fact that you can "feel" the punch from 10 G contras as far away as the pressbox, while but you can only "hear" Bb tubas. know what i'm saying? theres more to it than pitch. maybe bore size and mass. :P

The deal-breaker on teh G's is this: If you have to spend all your winter camps and the first month of the summer adjusting to instruments that kids aren't used to playing (remember, f above the staff plays sharp, but bottom E is flat....), you are at a competitive disadvantage.

Forget the esoterics and sentimentality arguments. It's pure practicality.

Heh, I never had that problem, but that's only because I only played G bari from 1994 on. That WAS my primary instrument year-round. :D

well its a fact that you can "feel" the punch from 10 G contras as far away as the pressbox, while but you can only "hear" Bb tubas. know what i'm saying? theres more to it than pitch. maybe bore size and mass. :P

Uh, no, that's not a fact. Bore size is the same, since they're using the same parts for most of both horns; mass, likewise, is virtually identical.

sorry to say that theres a point where "competitive" will trump "tradition"

as long as Pioneer plays on G bugles, they'll be in last place. now i have to duck the incoming flames...

Try again, Raiders and Impulse were in Bb, but Revolution won high brass with G bugles (including some 2 valve sops and baris).