DCI Dominance, The Percussion Edition

Great chart! The drum titles seem to run in groups looking at the longitudinal view. I have seen most of these lines from 1972 on (consecutively from 1972-88). My attendance got a little spottier after that. The winners were all great lines and showed a passion, love and commitment to the notes and activity. I have greatly enjoyed the varied styles and approaches over the years and decades.

Having marched in three corps in my playing career, people would sometimes ask me if I was bummed that a certain alumni line of mine was losing given any particular year. I would usually respond that I was not necessarily loyal to a uniform but rather would pull for the line with the cleanest notes where the passion and perfection was that causes one to want to jump in and play because the line is so good.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...hmm wish some person with some time on their hands would put together a "Brass" chart :)

Wasn't there something like a 3-way or 4-way tie in '91? I'm guessing they were still using the high GE Percussion score as the tie breaker and that's why you have Vanguard for that year.

Wasn't there something like a 3-way or 4-way tie in '91? I'm guessing they were still using the high GE Percussion score as the tie breaker and that's why you have Vanguard for that year.

You're correct. There was a tie between Vanguard, Star of Indiana, and the Cavaliers. SCV had the higher GE percussion score.

92 still stuns me. the only time i questioned a drum call in DCI

92 still stuns me. the only time i questioned a drum call in DCI

Agreed.

As for the above mentioned '91 three way. There was a three way tie for field (execution) but Cavies and SCV tied the GE captions that they used for breaking ties. Both Cavies and SCV received trophies.

i'm glad you agreed....i was afraid i'd get jumped on for cavies bashing. loved the total show, but that drum call astounds me.

How about Devils not winning a drum title since switching to Dynasty?

guess you can throw away that argument... not saying they (dynasty) didn't use to sound bad, but being a brass player, (what do i know), I can hear distinct improvements in sound quality over the past 8 years of Dynasty with BD...

its just a bad first impression that Dynasty will need to get rid of. Last year was a good first step, imo.

the thing that sticks out to me is this---how in the world did the bridgemen never win a champiuonship? i already knew that theior hornlines in the late 70's-early 80's were exceptional, now seeing that the drumlines were also there just leaves me scratching my head. i mean, were they the old school version of the 90's scouts, got a 2 placement bump down the list every year because the judges just plain didn't like them?