Notable Non-High Brass Drum Corps

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. SCV 1990

2. SCV 1991

3. SCV 1985

You were just talking about a weak sop line--I think SCV's sop line in '91 is something that held that corps back. Still love the show. I was running around playing some of the sop parts during finals week in '91 myself.

I think he's talking about the arranging, not the approach to brass playing.

Well, I would agree that the Cadet's arranging has a more wind ensemble approach to it, but the playing is definitely balls to the wall loud in a way wind ensemble is not, obviously.

Which do I prefer? Both :) Besides, I think that Gino Cipriani knows a good bit more about drum corps and musicality that I do, so yeah.

Gino != Wind Ensemble

Not at all.

I don't know why Gino was brought into this, I was talking about Bocook's arrangments.

I don't know why Gino was brought into this, I was talking about Bocook's arrangments.

Plus, Gino owns. In my opinion, Cadets 2000 is one of the best brass performances in the history of the activity (did I mention it's also the best drum corps show ever performed)?

Edited by Hrothgar15

Plus, Gino owns. In my opinion, Cadets 2000 is one of the best brass performances in the history of the activity (did I mention it's also the best drum corps show ever performed)?

Gino has given the cadets a very loud sound, the tone is crass for my taste, but I certainly enjoy the amount of volume that they provide.

Gino has given the cadets a very loud sound, the tone is crass for my taste, but I certainly enjoy the amount of volume that they provide.

Exactly..that's what I love about the activity, that there's no single characteristic sound that every single corps should strive for, but an unlimited combination of sounds that all lie within a spectrum. What's crass and edgy to one person might be beautiful and glorious to another, and what's perfectly balanced, blended, and in tune to one person may be sterile and and lacking in emotion to another.

Except for in tune being anything but in tune, yeah. That's pretty cut and dry, whereas the other qualities you mentioned are more subjective.

Good point...I think we have to consider both musical and non-musical elements of what a good sound is. Sure, musical elements are the most important. And speaking musically, being in tune is completely objective. It's all mathematical. But what about the case in which someone with absolutely no musical background attends a drum corps show...which sounds will he ultimately find the most enjoyable and pleasing to the ear? In this case, what may be the most musical may not be the most enjoyable to this person.