The Renegades-Rule, revisited

I don't think that the advocates of the proposal realize how others percieve it. To them it might seem logical, but to many others (including myself) it appears as if they're trying to deny a West Coast director an earned seat at the voting table, and that looks bad - it really looks bad. If I were going to vote in favor of it, I'd have to hold my nose. Even people like me from the Northeast are taking the Renegades side. I don't know if many DCA directors read this thread, but I sure hope they do, because this proposal doesn't seem to be garnering much public support.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say it's pretty sad that there are people here that are just happy to "not discuss" things that effect them personally, and just let "powers that be" handle everything and then once the rule gets implemented, then we can "#####" about it.

The corps you march in does not belong to your director or Board of Directors or any other staff. It's belongs to each one of us. While it would not make sense to allow each marching member to have a vote on DCA bylaws, I think it's important to bring such matters to the public eye so that we can influence our administration in the direction we want to see OUR corps go in.

I believe this was in part the spirit in which Lee brought this public. As a result, minus a few people that just don't get it, it has fostered thoughtful, intelligent conversation both here on DCP and "live" via phone and email amongst us "marching members". It has inspired thoughtful discussion between marching members and those that represent them at DCA meetings. I'm sure it has also brought about discussion amongst all the corps' "powers that be" along with the DCA "powers that be".

Not to sound like a "certain whack job on RAMD" but it is always very telling to me when someone wants to sweep things under the rug and squelch open, honest discussion about the direction of DCA.

Furthermore, anyone who thinks that the Renegades are "just in it for themselves", "just wants to stir a hornets' nest", "just making a big deal out of nothing to generate discussion" or any other ridiculous charge obviously has no idea what the Renegades are about, nor do they have any knowledge of our history in attempting to grow the activity for EVERYONE, often times at loss to our own betterment. This would include, but is not limited to, helping other all age corps get started, hosting shows, volunteering time teaching other corps/bands, etc.

As when things like this has happened in the past, I believe that smarter heads will prevail in this matter....but only after honest, open disucssion. Sweeping things under the rug is never a healthy activity.

I know for a fact that Lee has a genuine motive to encourage the growth of DCA beyond it's current "little corps pop up here and there every so often" kind of growth. I know he is willing to help DCA go above and beyond that and take a bigger stage. One that this brand of entertainment so sorely needs to thrive. But there are still those who are afraid. Afraid that they will lose control of something they have no real control of to begin with. It's sad, really.

If you don't have the guts to split from the NE, the NE will always have the hammer. Show them you're willing to opt-out and they'll come running back after a year or two. This isn't THAT hard. Many of you already produce home shows. Put on a show in Kansas City and declare it National Finals. Or move finals to a different home show every year.

I know most of you will have a million reasons why this can't be done. Hotels, parking, wah-wah. Find a way. Rethink the paradigm. You CAN do this. DCA weekend is just a drum corps party, and the Yankee funspots haven't been exactly hoppin'. Parties can happen anywhere - even without honor guards and DCA sheets.

We won't be there though, because we're not leaving Texas. Travel bites.

Same NE corps mentality, different state. Congratulations, Texas State Champs! :)

honestly, Adam isnt the kind to care. he shows up and plays his horn than has a beer. he doesnt care about the rest of it.

and Adam has G and Bb and can play both quite well. he doesnt need to swing one, you can pick up any DCA cd over the last ten years and hear how well his can swing when it counts.

there...feel better now that you've been attacked as you attacked him?

and do you see now how these type of attacks do nothing to resolve the issue at hand?

Thanks Jeff. I truly appreciate it. The fact of the matter is that I was trying to calm people down. I keep seeing Cabs this and old guard that. Just keep in mind people that the Caballeros stay out of this stuff like Mike Ryan said earlier in the post. But also remember 99% of the cabs are like me. We just show up and play our instruments and spin our equipment. So before you categorize the cabs with something PLEASE make sure you know everything. There are two sides to every story there is a lot of he said she said BS. I don't have any CLUE what anyone is talking about. So laugh a little and enjoy your coffee or beer or play your horn and swing it no matter how big or small or what key its in.

Again thanks Jeff.

Thanks Jeff. I truly appreciate it. The fact of the matter is that I was trying to calm people down. I keep seeing Cabs this and old guard that. Just keep in mind people that the Caballeros stay out of this stuff like Mike Ryan said earlier in the post. But also remember 99% of the cabs are like me. We just show up and play our instruments and spin our equipment. So before you categorize the cabs with something PLEASE make sure you know everything. There are two sides to every story there is a lot of he said she said BS. I don't have any CLUE what anyone is talking about. So laugh a little and enjoy your coffee or beer or play your horn and swing it no matter how big or small or what key its in.

Again thanks Jeff.

If my recollection recalls it correctly....Adam's a halfway alright snare, too! lol

Each year, on the DCI website, all rule change proposals are posted. Those proposals include the sponsoring corps name, a rationale for the proposed change and some discussion of financial and logistical implications of the change. Love or hate someone like George Hopkins, this forces him to justify his position in a public forum and not simply in a closed door session once a year.

But then you would take away the ego stroking allure attached to the secret decoder ring and the secret handshake! :P

Kidding :P :P :P :P :P

I would like everyone who has a problem with the Cabs or Empire to PLEASE buy seat pads from their souvie stands and be sure sit on them when this is over. Arrrg. Maybey we could take this on Opra or Dr. Phil?

FLAME ON Brothers!!!!

MOM

I have no problem with Cabs or their management...In fact, I have Cabs staff Shirt and a Cabs jersey, both given to me as gifts, and the Cabs Anniversary short and a Cabs sweatshirt....both of which I purchased at DCA last year! I'm just a corps slut...I'll buy a shirt from any corps that makes one in my size!!!!! You can NEVER have too many drum corps tshirts!

HINT TO SOUVIE PEOPLE: Fat people like drum corps too!!! Make some more XXXL shirts! :P