HS emulating DCI went out of style in 1975?

http://www.heralddemocrat.com/articles/200...news/news05.txt

Douglas Morris, high school band director, said at the current rate of improvement he expects 2007-2008 to be a banner year for the PHS Band. He said, “Next year is going to be our year.”

Morris said the band received no awards two years ago, then placed third in one competition last year. He said, “They had been a third and fourth division band not doing anything. When I came here two years ago they were emulating Drum Corps International, which is a style that went out before 1975.” After changing their routine and getting some new material to play, Morris said the band is now first division.

Ok. Is this man honestly saying that high school bands emulating DCI corps went out of style just 3 years after DCI was formed? This is credible? Is this man totally out to lunch?

I came across this thanks to Google's news-alert service and was floored by the apparent ignorance of the comment and hoped someone here could explain how a "music educator" could actually be correct when they state something like the quote above.

Edited by Tekneek

It's possible what he meant was in reference to some bands that used to take corps shows in their entirety and port everything...music and drill forms, to their show. The sort of stopped when drills became much more complex and we no longer had forms that were easily converted from drum corps field to marching band field.

Anyhow, it's just not worth getting upset over.

What was that video that someone posted on here a while ago that had a high school band doing PR 96 (at least their opener) verbatim? I refuse to believe that this is true.

Thats re-donkulous.

I'll bet the newspaper just mis-quoted him. Newspapers can be really dumb sometimes. One time when I was the Drum Major at Troopers a newspaper quoted me as saying that "Our marching band will be traveling to nearly thirty states." Did I say marching band half way through a drum corps season? No. As a matter of fact I stopped calling Drum Corps Marching Band after my first camp in my rookie year.

Newspapers suck sometimes.

Mike Gough

Troopers DM 2003-2004

HLD

Edited by michaeldgough

It's possible what he meant was in reference to some bands that used to take corps shows in their entirety and port everything...music and drill forms, to their show. The sort of stopped when drills became much more complex and we no longer had forms that were easily converted from drum corps field to marching band field.

Anyhow, it's just not worth getting upset over.

That's probably what was meant. It probably got "rewritten" several times by the editor or reporter. Anyway, in my neck of the woods, SW Ohio, this trend did not stop until the early 80's. When I went to KY to teach in 1988, they were still doing drum corps rip-offs at that time. It brings up another question. Is there still an area of the country where bands do drum corps rip-offs?

Boise Idaho.

Even the university rips stuff off here at the smurf turf.

Mike Gough