I think that Phantom Regiment's Faust show might be the best show

i don't think 06 was the greatest year for hornlines in general... in all the top 12 recordings you can hear pretty obvious mistakes coming from the horns...

and don't bash what jared said, just because he is oppinionated and isn't effected by the apparent and unjustified godlike worship of this show doesn't mean that he is "stupid" or "a fan of suckiness." Maybe you should actually go to the places in the recording that he's talking about and judge for yourself.

the hornline was great... deserved to win brass? questionable. The most blaring brass mistake on the entire first cd is a trumpet release in the first couple minutes of the show...

best show of all time? in my humble opinion, no.

Edited by baristeve

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy listening and watching this show, and am 'proud' that they got 2nd place (was exciting to see in Madison)...but it's not close to my favorite show from them, and only MAYBE is my favorite show from 2006. I dunno, 06 is a little blah to me from the top 12.

I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would (I always remembered hearing the beginning of their show off from a distance, and for some reason the opening always bugged me, but maybe because it was always stuck in my head afterwards) ... I was a HUGE fan of Ave Maria, but the rest of the show I just didn't enjoy as much. Don't get me wrong, it was executed very well and deserved it's placement, I just couldn't get into the show as much as I could others.

Its a great show, but not the best ever (in my opinion), not even the best Regiment show.

Would put 89, and 96 ahead of it from having marched 89 and seen 96 and 06 live.

But to be totally honest, my favorite show of all time is actually a Cadets show, 1987, Appalachian Spring.

I will never forget that show for as long as I live.

Pretty much everything after the '03 mello ending reprise thing sounds horrible....most of the hornline is backing up, and both look (seriously) and sound like they should have ended the show a minute or two before. 10:57-11:02 in my finals recording is literally a sub-top 12 brass moment. I'd even say sub-top 17, because corps like the Seattle Cascades (pre-06 though), Cap Reg, Crossmen, etc. don't even come close to having that many people drop out musically. Seriously, listen to it from a perspective NOT of a gawking, ignorantly blissful, emotionally gushing fan. You'll hear plenty of moments that'll seriously shock you. Sorry, guys.

I can assure you that nobody dared to drop out at the end of that show, or any other moment of that show.

Edited by PRC06

...I always remembered hearing the beginning of their show off from a distance, and for some reason the opening always bugged me, but maybe because it was always stuck in my head afterwards) ...

You're not the only one, trust me. Through most of the early season, it sounded like one of those inflatable clowns that you can punch but keep bouncing back at you. Or maybe just someone sawing through some wood.

I can assure you that nobody dared to drop out at the end of that show, or any other moment of that show.

Alllllllright then, I guess I revoke my point. If anyone has a new pair of ears I can trade in for, I'd most definitely appreciate it.

Go Phantom.

You're not the only one, trust me. Through most of the early season, it sounded like one of those inflatable clowns that you can punch but keep bouncing back at you. Or maybe just someone sawing through some wood.

Alllllllright then, I guess I revoke my point. If anyone has a new pair of ears I can trade in for, I'd most definitely appreciate it.

Go Phantom.

You have to remember the recording material that was being used. It's set to make sure that the microphones aren't overfed. Phantom was by far the loudest horn line that night and you can tell that the bar was overset or "redded" by the amount of volume coming from all sides. The DVD doesn't have this problem that the APD and the CDs have. In other words a lot of the loud moments, especially szforzandos or forte-pianos were picked up for a second and normalized by the recording equipment.

You can even listen to the Music Effect Judge complementing the actual sustain of the chords.

In any case it's better to Listen to the DVDs since they do not have the normalization issue that you hear in the CDs and the APDs.