Phantom Regiment to march a CO-ED Guard

TGBF

Boohoo

I have always been a fan of the look of an All Female Guard with PR. They were able to field a style of grace and femininity. They were able to look pretty as a group. When you add males to the mix, all the feminine nuances will have to be left out of the show. One of my favorite Phantom moments was when their guard laid down in front of the horn line and did a spread eagle. That was a daring move that worked. Or how about all the ladies in small red dresses of 96, the sophisticated black dresses for the show THE RING.

I will miss the unique styling of the feminine frame given to such a powerful horn line.

Now they will look like every other coed guard, ENTERCHANGEABLE.

(Yes, im sure they will spin well, but, bye bye to a tradition)

Dave's .2 cents

Phantom's guard hasn't done anything like that (spread eagle) in awhile, and I don't think they were going to again, regardless of whether the guard was co-ed...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Co-ed guard? Good.

I like the co-ed guard better. The young men in the guard did an outstanding job in "Faust." There were good things about the all-girl guard, but I'm for the best guard possible. If you've eliminated all guys from consideration, then perhaps you don't have the best guard. And I could definitely see a number of great reasons why guys would want to march Regiment's guard. Top notch instruction, for one. Vicious determination? Check. High levels of talent in all sections? Oh yeah. And being part of Regiment? Heck yes.

Spin, and spin well, boys and girls. The world is waiting to see what the 2007 Regiment has in store.

:doh:

I like tradition, so am rather sad to hear this...It seems kind of sudden though, I'll wait til I hear an official announcement from their site...It seems kinda close to auditions to change this.

Aw, that's too bad. Surely won't hurt them by any means, but I too have always thought the all-female look worked really well for the corps.

It's interesting that so many have mentioned the femininity of PR's guard when, at one time, this was a group known for its toughness and a certain commanding bearing and demeanor. While Santa Clara and Blue Devils always exhibited a light, graceful character, the guards of PR, Guardsmen and 27th Lancers were the epitome of the hard-core, take no prisoners style. The fact that they were all-female made the mystique that much more alluring.

I, for one, will be sad to see one of the last remaining all-girl guards go.

One of my favorite Phantom moments was when their guard laid down in front of the horn line and did a spread eagle.

you're not the only one!

The 27th Lancers added guys by 1986. The Vanguard added guys by 1997, and the Blue Devils added guys by 1992.

Phantom Regiment will always remain just what they are, even with the added dimension of the guys.

Co-ed guards are hardly generic.

~G~

Yeah, It wasn't exactly accepted with open arms for us in 86 either, just like the uniform change (and I personally, didn't like that at all). It was a matter of going with the changes.

But this bothers me as much as it did bother me in 86. (No disrespect to any of the guys in our guard).

Call me a traditionilist. :beer: There's just something about the "beauty" and bad arse attitude of an all female color guard. Oh well another tradition bites the dust. :(