Best wind ensemble music ever performed in DCI?

So much amazing music has come from this medium. Holsinger, Sparke, Ticheli...you name it. What are some your favorite pieces?

This may be an obscure job, but I think Phantom Regiment did an excellent job with Joseph Jenkins' "American Overture" in 1975. It's SUCH a good piece, and Phantom did a great job with it

But seriously, find the original piece if you can!

Edit: Sorry for the misspelling in the topic title. :blink:

Edited by Hrothgar15

Niagra Falls - Cavies

Rocky Point Holiday - Cadets

Ahem.

Russian Christmas Music. Alfred Reed.

Frank Ticheli's "Blue Shades" SCV 1999

Here are some of my favorite pieces I had played or heard before ever seeing a corps do them:

Tulsa--Don Gillis. I played it in the early 90s, and when the Cadets played part of it in 96, I was pleasantly surprised.

Scenes from the Louvre--Dello Joio. I've never heard a corps play it, though I know it's been done by SCV Cadets.

Festival Variations--Smith. Cavies '87.

Jug Blues and Fat Pickin--Freund. I really like SCV's 01 show, but I didn't really like their arrangement of this great piece.

My favorite, besides Tulsa, has got to be Dance Movements by Sparke.

Here are some of my favorite pieces I had played or heard before ever seeing a corps do them:

Scenes from the Louvre--Dello Joio. I've never heard a corps play it, though I know it's been done by SCV Cadets.

My favorite, besides Tulsa, has got to be Dance Movements by Sparke.

There is a Dello Joio event happening this year, I believe. Love "Scenes...", just played it with the community band I am is this past spring, but not sure it's really 'doable' as a field piece. We had it on our list for next fall's band show, but after listening to parts of it last night with a "field show" mindset it just didn't make it to us.

As for Sparke...Cadets version of "Celebration' is part of one of my all-time fave shows, teamed up with "Year of the Dragon", which doesn't count for this thread as it's a brass band piece.

Cadets with Rocky Point Holiday, Short Ride in a Fast Machine.

SCV- Blue Shades, RCM, Short Ride..

Magic of Orlando- Sinfonia Voci(wind arrangement), 12 seconds to the Moon and different works by Robert W. Smith that later became Wind literature.

Blue Knights- Any part of their 99 show, was that wind literatue?Sonoran Desert Holiday.

Spirit- Sonoran Desert Holiday