how many camps?

crh5

My child was at an audition camp this weekend for the first time and was asked to come to the next one. Since we are new to the activity (at least as far as actual participation is concerned) can someone tell me if there is an average number of camps kids go to before they really learn one way or the other if they will have a spot? I realize that every organization is different and alot depends on numbers, etc. I'm just trying to figure out if this is something we will know after two camps, or if it could go on for several months. I was told that basically each kid is given a 1, 2 or 3 at their individual audition and my child recieved a 2, which is what I assume most newcomers get, so hopes are not up...rather cautiously optimistic and ready to work very hard for at least another month! Thanks!

It is really dependent on the corps. My son's Div. I corps did not give out any contracts at the first camp last year (not even to vets). Approx. 50% of the brass were given contracts at the second camp, with the balance being given their contracts at the third (January) camp. If your child was given a 2, he/she should be practicing many hours every day between now and the next camp, and showing a very positive attitude and intense concentration at the next camp. Above all, be at camp ON-TIME (early, if possible). Be the first one back from meals, first one back from water breaks, etc. Talent is very important, but that gets you no where if you don't show great attitude.

My child was at an audition camp this weekend for the first time and was asked to come to the next one. Since we are new to the activity (at least as far as actual participation is concerned) can someone tell me if there is an average number of camps kids go to before they really learn one way or the other if they will have a spot? I realize that every organization is different and alot depends on numbers, etc. I'm just trying to figure out if this is something we will know after two camps, or if it could go on for several months. I was told that basically each kid is given a 1, 2 or 3 at their individual audition and my child recieved a 2, which is what I assume most newcomers get, so hopes are not up...rather cautiously optimistic and ready to work very hard for at least another month! Thanks!

It does depend on what corps your child is auditioning for. Also how on many other auditions they are expecting and the talent of them. From experience I can say I didn't know until Feburuary, and even then I had to emiail my tech and ask him. I got a 2 at my first camp as well. My advice is to keep coming back and giving them your money because it is an experience that is well worth it. Good luck!

Thanks so much to you both....great advice that I will pass along to my daughter. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go with her this weekend, but since she can go to the next camp, I plan to go with her and volunteer some. As for the money, it really isn't that much for the camp fees...it's just getting there! She had to fly this time, but I'll drive the 7 hours the next time. We'll take it one camp at a time for a while. Thanks again for the words of wisdom!

Thanks so much to you both....great advice that I will pass along to my daughter. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go with her this weekend, but since she can go to the next camp, I plan to go with her and volunteer some. As for the money, it really isn't that much for the camp fees...it's just getting there! She had to fly this time, but I'll drive the 7 hours the next time. We'll take it one camp at a time for a while. Thanks again for the words of wisdom!

It sounds like your kid has a good attitude, and more importantly, a supportive parent. That's really rare in this day and age, where kids practically have to beg parents to let them march.

Well done!

Most corps, even contenders, will not "string someone along" past the end of January/early February, and it is proper to ask the corps to "make a decision" if you do not get one by then (but that length is normal). Meanwhile, it is very good experience to continue, and if progress is made, your child may be in. Truthfully, the higher the corps is ranked and the larger the number of auditionees, the harder it is. If your child does not make the corps they have tried out for by the end of January/early February, it would be highly worthwhile to go to a camp of another corps....if your child earned a 2, they will have the talent to march in another corps......perhaps not a top 5 contender, but chances are good at making a spot in a corps.

Good Luck! BG

Most corps, even contenders, will not "string someone along" past the end of January/early February, and it is proper to ask the corps to "make a decision" if you do not get one by then (but that length is normal). Meanwhile, it is very good experience to continue, and if progress is made, your child may be in. Truthfully, the higher the corps is ranked and the larger the number of auditionees, the harder it is. If your child does not make the corps they have tried out for by the end of January/early February, it would be highly worthwhile to go to a camp of another corps....if your child earned a 2, they will have the talent to march in another corps......perhaps not a top 5 contender, but chances are good at making a spot in a corps.

Good Luck! BG

More great information. Thanks! The particular corps for which she auditioned is not a top 5, but it is one of the top 12, and apparently has a history of high attendance rates at its camps. They said that this year was a "record year" for participants, which is why I said we are being cautiously optimistic. There were just a whole lot of kids there! She has thought about other corps, but this one has been her dream for a long time, and logistically, there is only one closer to us anyway. It's nice to know that earning a 2 puts her in a category of possibilities. I was sort of being cynical and assuming that most kids got 2s so that the organizations could keep them coming back to keep their options open for as long as they could. It is nice to know that they don't really string the kids along. I guess that really isn't in anyone's best interest after all. She is only 16, so she has time. If this doesn't work out this year, she will defnitely take what she has learned and apply it to next year.

More great information. Thanks! The particular corps for which she auditioned is not a top 5, but it is one of the top 12, and apparently has a history of high attendance rates at its camps. They said that this year was a "record year" for participants, which is why I said we are being cautiously optimistic. There were just a whole lot of kids there! She has thought about other corps, but this one has been her dream for a long time, and logistically, there is only one closer to us anyway. It's nice to know that earning a 2 puts her in a category of possibilities. I was sort of being cynical and assuming that most kids got 2s so that the organizations could keep them coming back to keep their options open for as long as they could. It is nice to know that they don't really string the kids along. I guess that really isn't in anyone's best interest after all. She is only 16, so she has time. If this doesn't work out this year, she will defnitely take what she has learned and apply it to next year.

Also, try and check into a division II or III corps if she does not make it this season. Several corps look at experience to decide between that last spot. My neighbor was called back to Crossmen a few times last year because they were trying to decide between 3 people for 1 spot. Unfortunately he had no corps experience unlike one of the other 2 auditionees and was beat out of the spot.

Edited by txtubadude

It is nice to know that they don't really string the kids along. I guess that really isn't in anyone's best interest after all. She is only 16, so she has time. If this doesn't work out this year, she will defnitely take what she has learned and apply it to next year.

Depends on where you're at. In 2004 I was auditioning for a Div 1 and was strung along until the end of March without being given a contract, and then I was cut when a vet from the previous year decided to come back and march. This kind of thing does happen, so be careful. In my personal situation, I think things worked out for the best.

Sometimes corps don't specifically tell people to see their level of commitment. No news is generally good news, if they aren't telling you not to come back keep going back and you will most likely have a spot.

Even if they do tell you not to come back keep going back and you've got a pretty good chance as well :P