Macy's Thanksgiving "Parade"

When I marched we did the Philly Thanksgiving Day parade for channel 6. We played "jingle bell jazz" for the parade and had fun. The day before we went to rehersal, and lined up on the Art Museum steps (where Rocky ran up in his movie). They told use to play the closer from August. Needless to say we hadn't rehersed it, and they just played the DCI CD version. Nothing like faking drumming on the Art Museum steps on live tv........ugh.

But the parade was fun, and due to time constraints etc it was okay. AND we got some good exposure for the corps.

LOL, and the audio recording also included the crowd cheering through the back end of the closer (that last minute or so of the '90 Xmen show)........ it was like we brought our own Crossmen fan club to the parade. :P

I think I have the Macy's '94 All Stars on video somewhere. If no one else gets it on youtube, I might be able to dig it out. That corps was LOUD!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1992 as well. It was a DCE sposored event. crazy times at the ramada. Odd though, after the 94 visit the hotel we stayed at was torndown and the armory that we rehearsed at caved in. I guess they didn't want us to do that again.

Is this 'Deluxe' typin in here?

I remember seeing the 91 corps on tv and thinking 'WHOA!'...no, I got in trouble for saying Holy !@#$!! Low and behold, I was there in 92. What a time that was in 92 - to stack notes the first day of tuning and it was okay bacause everyone else was doing it! People walking by like they saw a 500-headed monster...because they DID see a 500-headed monster!

My most memorable moment (other than giving that cute little Canadian girl a foot massage in the hotel) was having our picture taken after the parade - standing on the steps of Madison Square. Some guy (no clue who) said he'd always wanted to conduct something like that. When we played, the only thing moving in my sight were his arms and the Don't Walk signs.

Brian, what's up?

You got in trouble??? Not as much as Willard Scott when he remarked 'what the hell is that?' as the sound overwhelmed the canyons of high rises

Jimbalaya

Is this 'Deluxe' typin in here?

I remember seeing the 91 corps on tv and thinking 'WHOA!'...no, I got in trouble for saying Holy !@#$!! Low and behold, I was there in 92. What a time that was in 92 - to stack notes the first day of tuning and it was okay bacause everyone else was doing it! People walking by like they saw a 500-headed monster...because they DID see a 500-headed monster!

My most memorable moment (other than giving that cute little Canadian girl a foot massage in the hotel) was having our picture taken after the parade - standing on the steps of Madison Square. Some guy (no clue who) said he'd always wanted to conduct something like that. When we played, the only thing moving in my sight were his arms and the Don't Walk signs.

Brian, what's up?

Way back in the day ........ 1977, The Rhode Island Matadors led the Macy's parade.

A great experience that I'll never forget! The rehearsal at 4am in the rain was very cold.

Back then the Matador uniforms were compaired to pj's because they were very light weight

with 3/4 length sleeves & we froze. But once the sun came up & we had a chance to dry off

it was fine. I've never seen a video of our coverage, I'd love to see it.

Well, until my Mom saw and heard what I was saying "Holy !@#$!" about, I was fussed upon. I was funny to watch the clip of us afterwards and hearing us distort the audio.

You got in trouble??? Not as much as Willard Scott when he remarked 'what the hell is that?' as the sound overwhelmed the canyons of high rises

Jimbalaya

And several other years as well. I believe this clip is from 1994.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ALpR7wBM34 Enjoy!!

How big were those cymbals? no way that's smaller than 24"

(that's what she said, for you office fans :P )

Edited by Vanguard07

I did the Fiesta Bowl Parade, man it sucked.

You turn the first corner and you have local tv coverage. Another 200 feet, national tv. Next 6 miles... Not a darn thing.

:worthy:

I was in that one too..I mentioned in another thread once that my nephew was one of the lead sops in the front frow of "Block A" following the color guard..He said that after passing the local TV coverage stand and going around the 2 corners to the next road passing the national TV booth, he looked across the park between the 2 sites, and the end of "Block B" was just finishing passing the other TV stand. Talk about street coverage!

Cloud Hype's right though..After that, not a ripple...I didn't think it was so bad..After playing Auld Lang Syne about 20 straight times, I'm sure the screechers needed the break. :P

Having 240 horn players was a pretty good time..But 2 days on a bus each way was a little more than I was used to at that time..Still a great trip.... :worthy:

Pat