Macy's Thanksgiving "Parade"

OT but related rant...

Do drum corps ever play the parade? I hope it never happens, but I can just imagine corps members faking their instruments while marching around and dancing to a prerecorded track. <**>

It is so disappointing to see farce after lip-synching farce at this "parade," while the entries that are actually performing (such as marching bands) are just a backdrop while they do some interview. <**> Or worse, go to commercial. What schlock. <**>

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cadets did last year.

~>conner

When I marched we did the Philly Thanksgiving Day parade for channel 6. We played "jingle bell jazz" for the parade and had fun. The day before we went to rehersal, and lined up on the Art Museum steps (where Rocky ran up in his movie). They told use to play the closer from August. Needless to say we hadn't rehersed it, and they just played the DCI CD version. Nothing like faking drumming on the Art Museum steps on live tv........ugh.

But the parade was fun, and due to time constraints etc it was okay. AND we got some good exposure for the corps.

BTW, I don't think The Cadets faked during their Macy's performance. Used to be on Youtube, but I can't find it so try this on for size......

The American marching band today on the parade featured 200 high school kids from around the US who were found to have extraordinary talent and work ethic.

I am VERY proud to say that Tomball High School, where I am a marching instructor, had 7 kids in the group. The most sent from any school.

DCM used to send a corps made up of members of its various constituent corps to march.

I hope it never happens, but I can just imagine corps members faking their instruments while marching around and dancing to a prerecorded track.

Isn't drum corps about honor, dignity, and hard work? what would it say about a corps if they DID have the audacity to do such a thing. That'd be worse than the time Ashley whatever her name lip-synced on SNL.

Drum corps is a long lived tradition and will never be used as a media stunt

I think one of those guys was Adam Rapa... principal player for Blast!, and a vet from East Coast if I'm not mistaken... anyone confirm?

One of the soloists was Keith Dunton [Madison Scouts alumn and RCC brass tech]. Not sure who the other two guest soloists were.

know they're not a drum corps but don't they/didn't they have strong ties to BD?

RCC has members and staff from many drum corps, but the Macy's version of the 'Marching Tigers' were comprised of current members, alumni, and high school students from southern california.

Edited by MalletMusic