Macy's Thanksgiving "Parade"

In 1994 we had an All-Star Drum Corps that played in the parade that was made up of members from many corps from all divisions, including DCA. It was quite fun, and VERY loud. I have a video somewhere, I'll see if I can get it on youtube.

1992 as well. It was a DCE sposored event. crazy times at the ramada. Odd though, after the 94 visit the hotel we stayed at was torndown and the armory that we rehearsed at caved in. I guess they didn't want us to do that again.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1992 as well. It was a DCE sposored event. crazy times at the ramada. Odd though, after the 94 visit the hotel we stayed at was torndown and the armory that we rehearsed at caved in. I guess they didn't want us to do that again.

"Macy Parade, "Back In the Day":

There was a time, WAY BACK in the dark and distant past my pretties, when the "Macy Parade" was actually a "Macy's Parade". I remember well such great drum corps as Blessed Sacrament, St Kevins Emerald Knights, the Racine Scouts and both Hawthorne corps marching in the Macy Thanksgiving Day extravaganza.

I believe it was one year that the two Hawthorne corps COMBINED to display a HUGE street contingent and completly gassed the parade onlookers and the TV audience viewing from home.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

In 1994 we had an All-Star Drum Corps that played in the parade that was made up of members from many corps from all divisions, including DCA. It was quite fun, and VERY loud. I have a video somewhere, I'll see if I can get it on youtube.

I remember watching that on TV. You could tell how loud they were even on the tube. I remember looking for all of my corp mates and friends as they marched through. They need to do that again. :ph34r:

that's how the Rose Parade is set up, except all the coverage is at the turn...they have a huge 4 or 5 story platform set up for the cameras, then it's just spectators for the rest of it...every so often you will see signs "only 2 more miles" "almost there" "1 more mile bands" stuff like that...but it's all just like a regular neighborhood parade once you pass the cameras.

that's how the Rose Parade is set up, except all the coverage is at the turn...they have a huge 4 or 5 story platform set up for the cameras, then it's just spectators for the rest of it...every so often you will see signs "only 2 more miles" "almost there" "1 more mile bands" stuff like that...but it's all just like a regular neighborhood parade once you pass the cameras.

that sounds about right. Did the parade back in 2004 and we spent a good wile practicing that one turn. And honestly, the parade isn't all that bad to march... but we didn't have horses in front of us either. The In-n-Out afterwards was good too.

Pride of the East marched 2 years in succession. You are correct. Tony DiCarlo and Larry Hershman drove the idea and crewed it up. One can only hope for a reprise.

Jimbalaya

Edited by Jimbalaya

Wow. I cannot believe just how much the activity has changed. I can remember watching drum corps in parades all the time back when I was in high school. Now people actually say they hope a drum corps is never in one?

Hope a Drum Corps is never in one??? <**>

<**> Not directed at Tekneek, just people who don't want to see a corps in a parade. They should stay away from Baltimore Beltway area during the Fouth of July parades. Know more than one corps pay their bus bill that day (or so I've heard).

Edited by JimF-3rdBari