Macy's Thanksgiving "Parade"

Riverside Community College performed in it today.

I know they're not a drum corps but don't they/didn't they have strong ties to BD?

Good trumpet solos. :)

3 of the 4 Trumpet soloists were Keith Dunton (new Madison brass caption head), Sean Billings (BD Alum) and yes, Adam Rappa (Blast & I believe ECJ).

I believe Wayne Downey did the wind arrangement while Sean Vega did the percussion arrangement.

Edited by jksmusic

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1994 we had an All-Star Drum Corps that played in the parade that was made up of members from many corps from all divisions, including DCA. It was quite fun, and VERY loud. I have a video somewhere, I'll see if I can get it on youtube.

Edited by ApathyJones

It is so disappointing to see farce after lip-synching farce at this "parade," while the entries that are actually performing (such as marching bands) are just a backdrop while they do some interview.

even the bands are pre-recorded...a member of the Illinois State University marching band (who played Macy's a couple of years ago) said they were recorded at like 4 AM that morning and that is what is played while they are doing their thing. he also said they only have 80 counts to make it in from the staging area and no way is it an 8-5 step. (all from him, i have no idea)

even the bands are pre-recorded...a member of the Illinois State University marching band (who played Macy's a couple of years ago) said they were recorded at like 4 AM that morning and that is what is played while they are doing their thing. he also said they only have 80 counts to make it in from the staging area and no way is it an 8-5 step. (all from him, i have no idea)

That is a "just in case" scenario only (i.e. if there was an audio problem). What you actually hear the bands play on that parade is live.

3 of the 4 Trumpet soloists were Keith Dunton (new Madison brass caption head), Sean Billings (BD Alum) and yes, Adam Rappa (Blast & I believe ECJ).

I believe Wayne Downey did the wind arrangement while Sean Vega did the percussion arrangement.

Sean was also "Blast" as well. He was in the Anaheim cast with me in 2002.

my buddy brian, TSRTS13 on here, called me earlier just to tell me that he was watching and had seen Adam on there soloing with RCC. Adam not only marched ECJ and Blast, but he also worked with the hornline on occasion when Jeff Bolduc was our caption head. Good guy.

In 1994 we had an All-Star Drum Corps that played in the parade that was made up of members from many corps from all divisions, including DCA. It was quite fun, and VERY loud. I have a video somewhere, I'll see if I can get it on youtube.

i think the All-Star Drum & Bugle Corps was in it from 1991-1994. it was very cool to see both in person and on television. when the American Marching Band was on today they were good but i did joke around and say they should leave it to the professionals and bring back the All-Star Drum Corps again. :)

maybe that's a new thing. when i was on staff at Danbury High School they performed in the parade in 1995. our 3 A.M. rehearsal was great. i wish they'd recorded that. our performance during the parade left much to be desired unfortunately. we had set the VCR to record and watched it when we got home. all the errors came through loud and clear. but the kids had the time of their lives and that's what really mattered. :)

having done the Rose Parade twice personally, I can come into that discussion with more personal knowledge. The parade itself isn't really that great, sure it looks good on TV but that is after the very first turn (about 1/2 mile in once you get to the parade route)...I've been told Macy's is about 1 1/2 miles...Rose Parade is over 5, plus depending on how far back in the lineup, the staging area can be almost 2 miles itself. As far as weather goes, I point to Dec 31, 1999...we lost two sets of tenor drums and numerous drumheads, I couldn't believe how hard it rained...I did meet my fiancee there from another band so I suppose it's not all bad (I actually had lots of fun, but it's hard to do)