Cadets NOT to use amplified vocals in 2007 show.

Well, than you got just what you want. Why does every corps have to fit the same narrow mold, just because that is what YOU want? Others like some of those...as well as different shows. Something for everyone to grab onto.

Oh no, I definitely agree. I just think that if a corps wants to have the best shows they can have, they shouldn't use talking and singing. But hey, that's just what I think!

I'm starting to think this whole "argument" is kinda dumb.

Edited by Hrothgar15

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And a few hundred...many bogus...in it's second.

They gave the petitioners their opportunity to present their case. Why should they do 'anything' after that?

I'm not talking about the second time around. If nothing came of the first, most people had enough sense to know the second wouldn't work. No sense in beating your head against the wall.

This is drum corps, not the Iraq war or abortion, so most of the normal "fans" don't have the time, financial investment or energy to sit there and belabor the point each year about this like other "lobbyists" do.

Meanwhile, from within DCI, people can push whatever they want for as many years as they want...so that puts people on the opposite side of any argument (whether it be amps, corps size or whatever) at a disadvantage.

I'm sorry you think that 3,000 people is such a small number. However, when your big draw (Finals) each year pulls in between 15,000-25,000 fans, it's certainly not really that small in our little world...and make no mistake, as much as we sing the praises of drum corps here...it's still a niche activity.

I didn't expect anyone to take up the call at the director level the first time around. Most of the corps that voted against it in 2003 had little clout in the caste of drum corps personalities that we see each year with new proposals. No need for those "nay" directors to be labeled as a pariah.

In retrospect, though, who really cares? Every year is different...2004 pushed me away from the activity, as did 2005...but 2006 had a lot of what I like in it. I don't much care for amps, even after three years in. That's just me, of course. I don't buy as much DCI stuff as I used to, and have discovered DCA along the way. Neither solution is what I really want to do, but in the general schema of my life, drum corps amplification is not really worth losing that much sleep over now.

What's done is done, and now we wait for the electronics rule to pass. I'm sure we'll see it proposed this off-season.

We've all kicked this dog around enough. However, the arguments will continue here, at least until amplification has been in long enough for those DCI ageouts who were part of it (and okay with it) to become fans in the stands, and the demographic changes.

Until then, we're all going to waste a lot more bandwidth on this. :P

No offense, but y'all sound like a bunch of kids on the playground, debating on which is better: chocolate or vanilla.

Just what I see...but who am I, besides a stupid 20 y/o kid?

We have not yet begun to defile ourselves. :P

Seriously, come June, you'll see what I mean.

Meanwhile, from within DCI, people can push whatever they want for as many years as they want...so that puts people on the opposite side of any argument (whether it be amps, corps size or whatever) at a disadvantage.

What is the problem with that? It took a dozen years or so to get amps passed. Seems as if the process worked just fine. Once the majority of the voting BOD was comfortable with the concept it passed...up to then...it didn't.

I'm sorry you think that 3,000 people is such a small number. However, when your big draw (Finals) each year pulls in between 15,000-25,000 fans, it's certainly not really that small in our little world...and make no mistake, as much as we sing the praises of drum corps here...it's still a niche activity.

It's tiny as compared to the total drum corps audience nation-wide, which is the only applicable number to use, as the petition was a season long-event.

What's done is done, and now we wait for the electronics rule to pass. I'm sure we'll see it proposed this off-season.

We can only hope. It's about time for them as well.

MikeD, that's what I was getting at! :)

Hrothgar, you have what you want. Go get a soda when something you don't like comes on. That's all you have to do. You aren't some revolutionary character and make no mistake- if someone is going to do something about amplification, it isn't going to be you by any stretch of the imagination.

MikeD, that's what I was getting at! :)

Hrothgar, you have what you want. Go get a soda when something you don't like comes on. That's all you have to do. You aren't some revolutionary character and make no mistake- if someone is going to do something about amplification, it isn't going to be you by any stretch of the imagination.

I can't drink soda during shows I like as well? :(

Ah- get the soda during the show you don't like and consume it during the one you do. This will maximize your enjoyment of drum corps. For what is better than a cold beverage and a great show? :)

Ah- get the soda during the show you don't like and consume it during the one you do. This will maximize your enjoyment of drum corps. For what is better than a cold beverage and a great show? :)

Touché! :P

I can't drink soda during shows I like as well? :(

Nope. Can't drink it at those times...it's a well known fact for us old-timers in drum corps that a person is NOT permitted to consume a carbonated soft drink while a corps the person likes is performing, on the chance that the bubbles will cause some very loud belching at EXACTLY the wrong moment, thereby ruining the enjoyment of the show for all those sitting around you. :worthy:

(hmmm...I wonder if he swallowed...er..BELCH...that one!)

food-smiley-012.giffood-smiley-012.giffood-smiley-012.giffood-smiley-012.gif