Scouts camp

acn

It's at night, when I'm off the meds, when I have my crazy ideas...maybe this doesn't work everywhere, but...

What about these big national touring organizations, not just Scouts, but many of them who hold Thanksgiving weekend auditions...set aside Friday for local auditions only. What harm could it do?

Let's say Regiment in Rockford...if you are less than 90 miles from Rockford, you get a special pass to attend Friday, audition Friday. You are encouraged to stay for the rest of the camp of course, but the look at you is different than someone who flies in from California or Texas. Now it doesn't obligate the corps to take a person just because they are close by, but they get more time with the staff. Perhaps a better opportunity to learn what it takes to be in a Div. I corps.

Same thing for Madison...if you are in the southern area of Wisconsin, you could be offered a unique opportunity to try out and find out what it takes to be a Scout.

The corps benefits from building closer ties to those nearby who offer closer business connections with the community and fundraising and more volunteer opportunities as well.

Some would say the numbers would be too small to be effective, but I've been at several Div. III auditions with 16 horns, 14 percussion, a couple of pit players and 6 guard. A corps staff can figure out who has chops already, who is borderline and who needs lots of work.

Is it crazy? OK, I'm going to take my meds.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it crazy? OK, I'm going to take my meds.

Well, save some for me, because I don't think it sounds crazy at all. Especially considering all the high schools that have just finished their marching seasons full of local kids who maybe aren't thinking about auditioning all over the place for drum corps, but might give it a shot if the corps came to them in town (or nearby).

More local auditionees = more local interest = more local support

Edited by Liam

Not crazy at all.

Again, as stated above, the more local members the more local support the better.

I also think with ever rising fuel and travel costs that for both potential members and for each corps bottom line, DCI and it's members need to think about how to do some things to ease everyones budgets.

certainly ANY idea is worth discussion regardless of whether or not anyone thinks it's bad or good. ALL ideas are "brainstorming worthy"...

then you whittle down from there...

Hey Tom - not a crazy idea at all! Now you're talking! Constructive ideas on this thread - I like it!! Breath of fresh air.

I know Madison, int he past, has done some outreach with the Wisconsin Marching Bands Assn. (I think that's what it's called.) And has recruited in Whitewater, through snow, wind, rain, and yes, I think there was a nice October Saturday thrown in there. It would be an extension of that effort.

Kids, and their parents, like it when an organization picks them out, and treats them special. The pitch would be how the rest of the country will show up on Saturday, but because you are a Wisconsin Marching Band member, we'd like to give you a sneak peak and an opportunity not to have to wait in line to audition. It will also give you more time with our instructional staff to give you their insight on what you can do to improve marching and playing wise. It would mean a bit of logisitics to get the staff in earlier...let's say in by Friday at 10a, but I think it a small sacrifice to develop local talent.

Those kids, even the ones who didn't make it their first year, might be more likely to audition and make it in subsequent years because they were treated special.

My thoughts. for what they're worth.

• 1 month later...
That's exactly my point. If you have nothing good to report...silence is your friend. If you make a big deal broadcast about loading up the trucks and moving to Madison....that huge trek down Highway 151 it just make me wonder why they thought that was important.

I'll tell you why it's important...because they are the MADISON Scouts...not the SUN PRAIRIE Scouts...now, that may seem trivial to some...HOWEVER, it's a big deal considering (from what I have come to understand) the MADISON Scouts weren't even allowed to stay in Madison at ANY of the schools in town since the last time finals were in Madison (2002). Apparently this was due to the unfortunate actions of another corps (who shall remain nameless)while staying in a school in Madison for finals that cast a poor shadow on DCI and hurt the Scouts reputation in town. Now, I don't know if all is forgiven and this has changed, but moving the corps offices back to Madison I'm sure does nothing but help to mend any damaged fences.

I want to be perfectly clear...from what i understand, this incident did NOT involve the Scouts...rather the actions of another corps. I'll leave it up to all of you to come to your own conclusions as to why this would affect the Scouts, but it's pretty sad when the MADISON Scouts have to bus in 45 min. to an hour when championships were in their "hometown" this past year.

For those who pay attention, this is news worth reporting...and something the corps should be proud of.

But, then again....that's just my opinion...

-J

Edited by BigBadMadMan

I guess it's an important move to them because they are the MADISON Scouts, not the Sun Prairie Scouts. And, from a PR standpoint (since

THAT now seems to be the issue here... no longer the fact that "only" 150 or whatever auditioned for the corps) I guess it's a POSITIVE thing to actually be HQ'ed

in the city your name says you are from. Maybe we could look at it as a new opportunity to renew relationships with the City of Madison, which was once a

very strong and solid relationship that at some point sort of slipped a little.

Weeeeell, perhaps I should have kept reading before I repeated the above first line as my opening line...perhaps I cast a little bit more light on why it's important and why the relationship slipped somewhat from what it was under Scott. I just know that if Scott had been the director in 2003, I highly doubt that he would have just pulled the corps offices and moved to Sun Prairie. I have no doubt that he would have been fixing the situation starting the day that it became an issue. I know he would have stuck it out to show his committment to the city and hopefully showed them that he wanted to stay. At least, that's how I believe things would have happened...

Once again...only my opinion...

I'm going to agree with you on that bigbadmadman...I know he would. He's that kind of person.

And again, as you pointed out, and for everyone that thought the move back to the Mad city wasn't important, they are the MADISON SCOUTS. Always have been, always will be. If your name is associated with something, it should stay.

Much like the Cadets dropping "Bergen County," they are not from there anymore, they dropped that part of the name, I think that's the right thing to do.

Just my thoughts.

I'm going to agree with you on that bigbadmadman...I know he would. He's that kind of person.

And again, as you pointed out, and for everyone that thought the move back to the Mad city wasn't important, they are the MADISON SCOUTS. Always have been, always will be. If your name is associated with something, it should stay.

Much like the Cadets dropping "Bergen County," they are not from there anymore, they dropped that part of the name, I think that's the right thing to do.

Just my thoughts.

The Madison Scouts of 2006 held every camp at Madison East High School (the same school that housed the Santa Clara Vanguard during finals week 2006). The corps also rehearsed all Saturday morning and afternoon at the UW-Madison field house during one camp. The corps slept at Madison Turner's. The first two weeks of everydays were at the Alliant Center in Madison (which was unique considering the guys had to be bussed out for showers and rehearsed on asphalt parking lots). During finals week, the corps was housed at Madison Country Day School (a truly gorgeous facility with magnificent views). This school contacted the corps and offered to house them and is also where camps are being held (and would have been held regardless of the staff changes). Being present and a part of all these events, I know this is true. Seems to me that even through the office was in Sun Prairie, the corps spent all of it's 'local' rehearsal time in Madison with the exception of the last two weeks of everydays which were at UW-Whitewater (and involved no bussing to showers or asphalt parking lots). Just some facts...