Should I go meet George Hopkins this Weekend?

Poll  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Should I go meet George Hopkins this Weekend?

• Yes
    • No

...if you read the blog entry...it is a not an public meeting, but a private dinner.

I'd rather have a private dinner with Jim Ott though I might be 26 years too late for that.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George said in his Livejournal that he's taking some people to the White Dog Café this weekend, which is about three blocks away from where I go to school (University of Pennsylvania)! Do you think I should go meet him so I can get his autograph and maybe talk about the Cadets a little?

Why??

...if you read the blog entry...it is a not an public meeting, but a private dinner.

then by all means, i wouldn't go say hi unless i passed him headed to the restroom or in the parking lot

From my experience with Hop, he seems to be a very open guy. I wrote a paper on drum corps in general and The Cadets specifically many moons ago and needed an interview. So I just called his office, explained what I was doing, and we talked for about 20 minutes.

Why don't you email him and ask if he'd be open to being "bothered" during the dinner? That way, you'll get straight-up whether it's intended to be a casual meeting for dinner or a private outing.

Edited by Nex

Why don't you email him and ask if he'd be open to being "bothered" during the dinner? That way, you'll get straight-up whether it's intended to be a casual meeting for dinner or a private outing.

that would be a good idea

You should show up in a schoolgirl uniform and ask him for directions :)

Hopkins doesn't need stalkers. If he has a private meeting that he has been publically announced....it is still private. If you feel the need to communicate with the guy please email him. If you feel the need to confront him in a public setting about how you feel about his involvement with DCI, please refrain.

BTW I responded to a "general inquirey" Hop made, and he emailed me personally with a few comments and a thank you. By all accounts the guy is accessible via email. If he is really interested in what you have to say he'll invite you for a meeting.

Side Note: If you join the YEA! leadership circle, George Hopkins will have diner with you in your home town! All interested in getting the man's ear for a one-on-one please make checks payable too.......YEA! Leadership Circle

If your intention is to simply meet Mr. Hopkins and offer a quick, "I'm pleased to meet you. It's a great honor. Now I'll let you get back to your dinner," then I see nothing wrong with unobtrusively dropping by his table or casually engaging him as he leaves the restaurant (though planning to be there solely for that purpose seems a bit stalker-esque).

If, on the other hand, you want to corner George and air your grievances about him and the Cadets (as you've so often done in these forums) or offer advice and programming suggestions, I would refrain. Don't embarrass yourself and Mr. Hopkins.

Edited by ChicagoFan

If your intention is to simply meet Mr. Hopkins and offer a quick, "I'm pleased to meet you. It's a great honor. Now I'll let you get back to your dinner," then I see nothing wrong with unobtrusively dropping by his table or casually engaging him as he leaves the restaurant (though planning to be there solely for that purpose seems a bit stalker-esque).

That, and get his autograph!