Question on Dealing with Personal/Character Attacks

JimF-LowBari

Quoted is DCP guidelines on Personal Attacks

"You may not make personal attacks on other Community members or non-members. Harassment of other members is not allowed. Flame-bait, trolling or flaming posts will be edited or removed, and action may be taken against the author. Issues and posts directed at a single member should be handled via our built-in Private Messenger feature."

Few months age had another DCP member accuse me of lying in more than one thread. At the time I had two family members dealing with serious health issues so I hit ignore for this poster and forgot about it. Now that things have calmed down somewhat I'll follow up. My question is are there guidelines for dealing with attacks when you do not feel it would be useful to work with the other person offline (aka PM)? Know the mods have better things to do with their lives than play nursemaids but hard to tell when the line has been crossed far enough to report the post.

And before anyone laughs at me being upset about being called a liar, let me explain. Over the last few decades I've tried to build a reputation as someone whose word can be trusted. That's the way I was raised and based on what I can tell in my personal and professional life it has worked. At least I have two supervisors at work who refuse to deal with me 'cause I won't "flavor the truth" <$1 to one of them> their way. That's why it's so maddening to have a complete stranger accuse you of lying.

You may not make personal attacks on other Community members or non-members. Harassment of other members is not allowed. Flame-bait, trolling or flaming posts will be edited or removed, and action may be taken against the author. Issues and posts directed at a single member should be handled via our built-in Private Messenger feature.

Simplified:

If members of the community have an issue that they would like to discuss "outside" the title of a particular thread [ie: personal issue(s)], than they should do so via "private communication".

That said, those "extended" communication still fall under:

These Community Guidelines apply to all Community communications, including forum posts, Private Messages, chat messages, and all e-mail sent via the Community directories. These guidelines are very basic and we hope that you read them fully. In addition, members that have been granted access to the DCP Off-Topic (OT) forums will need to review and adhere to those specific guidelines as they apply.

Hope that helps.

Kinda leads me in the right direction and no sense going over a cold issue. Just wanted to get an idea of availible options.

And that Ignore feature works REAL well. :blink:

Thanks for the verification Rich.

Glad I am not the only one that was confused over that. I should have asked before I sent a PM to that person who then reported me. But some people just have thin skin. I guess it is for the best. So learn the rules and then some. Interpret them in as many ways as you can and follow that as a standard, you can't go wrong.

Personally attacking someone through the PM system is not allowed.

Personally attacking someone through the PM system is not allowed.

Dave is absolutely correct, and that is EXACTLY how the guidelines should state it. Bravo Dave. :)

If you read the guidelines, it does state exactly that.

Mike (<- wrote the guideline in question)

Thats what I said. Comprehension is a pain sometimes isn't it. ;)

Edited by Jimisback

i've always felt if it's a true attack, hit the report button.

if it isn't, the admin should reply and say why. if it is, the admins will do what needs to be done.