Audition Camp Attendance

let us not turn this thread into something that will ultimately have to be closed.

it's a fairly tame and harmless topic, let's keep it that way please.

Thanks.

~your friendly neighborhood moderator. :)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the Cadets still do the thing where their vets don't come to the very first audition camp? That could be part of their lower numbers.

yes... the vets should be there in December. Along with the people invited back from the first 2 audition weekends, and other people who didn't go to either of the first two, but still want to audition.

I know a bunch of DCA corps that would love to help so up and coming kids that are struggling to march DIV 1.

If your one of those kids on the cut list and can't find a home in DIV2 or 3 that you are happy with...you owe it to yourself to try the DCA route.Heck just show up at rehearsal and sit in for one camp.You might find a good fit.

I know we have several younger generations of marchers out there looking to make a div 1 corps.WE wish the best for them and hope after thier age out year they make the trip back to march.

At Cavalier auditions here are the rough numbers, numbers asked back were not relaesed not official but

51 Trumpets auditioned

18 Mellos

around 60/70 Baritones

20 or so Tubas

a butt load of percussion I wanna say close to 100 - 150

and it looked like 50 guard

this was at Rosemont, they did tell us that 120 tried out at Houston.

Spirit had about 300...and between the Texas audition coming up and people who missed this weekend due to college marching band commitments they are estimating around 450 total.

The Bluecoats Ohio camp had the highest single camp turnout in corps history, according to an administration annoucement at the camp's final "Show and Tell." If you remember what 03-04 numbers were like, that's no easy feat.

Not sure on the TX numbers, or any official specific instrumentation auditionee digits.

Rough Estimate for Coats numbers was something like:

Very Approximate Texas/OH combined

80 ish Trumpets

40ish Mellos

65ish Bari/Euphs

30ish Tubas

I think the final number was something like 220 brass, something to that extent.

Lots of Drums...?

Lots of Guard....?

Edited by Steve709

Back on topic, I hope that some of the kids who are not getting asked back to bigger Division I corps are being referred to others. It's a hard thing for a 17 year old kid who has had his heart set on marching Cavaliers to decide he needs to go check out Div. II for a year or two. The reality is, the only way you are going to get better at drum corps is by doing it.

You might become a better player by taking a summer off to work technically, but if you really want to march corps and get turned down by your first choice, you have to find another group. Most smaller organizations won't take it as a slap in the face if you march there and decide to go Division I. I mean, we are talking 600 Phantom, 500 Crown, 300 Cadets, probably well over 6 or 700 for Cavaliers- all going for 135. You could probably take the best kids who didn't make those corps I just mentioned and make DCI Finals, with the right staff and show concept. You can't get discouraged and think that you suck because you didn't make one of the top marching organizations in the world in your first couple years. After all, this is drum corps, and the most important thing is the experience of a lifetime, not winning a ring.

"Not Asked Back":

An EXCELLENT post. Just think, if even HALF of the "Not Asked Back" folks went on to a Div 2/3 corps or to one of the corps in DCA.......

Elphaba