Is It Okay To Ask For Your Money Back?

it doesn't appear it wouldn't be DCI that this request would be going to, but the individual corps the person auditioned for.

but some people never miss a chance to take a shot at DCI. . . . <**>

Oops, my bad...A DCI CORPS giving YOU money. What a concept!!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Asking for a refund from a failed audition is like asking a company for a paycheck after completing a job application. IT DOESN'T HAPPEN !

With a legitimate request for a refund I would issue it. For "buyers remorse" or a con-artist I would not issue it.

Legitimate request: no food, no shelter, didn't get to play all weekend, personal property ruined by staff (horn dropped), didn't attend due to illness, went home due to illness. I would take requests on a case by case basis.

By far the best response so far.

The only possible way to retrieve an audition fee would be to show that the corps did not reasonably live up to its part of the process - for example, if you were not permitted to audition it would be unreasonable to expect to have to pay for it.

Assuming we are only talking about the audition fee:

I'm thinking it may fall under the UCC because it is involving both services (education, audition) and goods (at least limited meals).

However, it would not pass the statute of frauds because it is for less than $500, therefore you'd probably have to resort to R 139 - Enforcement by virtue of aciton in reliance - in order to get the contract into court to find out if it is really a K.

1) Promise by the corps?

2) Reliance foreseeable to the corps?

3) Reliance reasoanble by the auditionee?

4) What was the actual detriment?

5) What injustice was there?

It would be a very very weak case, and unless the experience of the auditionee was wholly atypical, there would little if any chance at compensation. Afterall, an auditionee is by definition "a trial performance that allows assessors to appraise an artist’s work," and therefore indefinate.

(then again, maybe I've been in the library too long today)

Usually, no. Most corps' membership contracts read that, if you decide to quit after paying a portion of all of your tour fees (tuition, whatever), the fees are non-refundable. Many also say that, if you do not uphold an expected standard (i.e., performance, behavioral), you can be cut and any fees paid to that point are non-refundable. If you have something such as a medical problem, death of an immediate family member, etc., most will refund your money, minus a small amount for expenses already incurred (i.e., food).

I can only speak from personal experience, but back in 2002 Phantom Regiment offered me a contract and then cut me several months later in the process. They refunded all the money I had paid in dues up to that point.

Asking for a refund from a failed audition is like asking a company for a paycheck after completing a job application. IT DOESN'T HAPPEN !

Your analogy is a little off, you don't have to throw any money down for any application/interview I've ever heard of.

But, to answer the thread author's question, I vote no. If a corps were to start a policy allowing unsatisfied camp attendants to request their money back, everyone attending who didn't make the cut would be crying foul play. Of course, some exceptions could be handled on a case by case basis depending on circumstance.

I can only speak from personal experience, but back in 2002 Phantom Regiment offered me a contract and then cut me several months later in the process. They refunded all the money I had paid in dues up to that point.

A lot of it depends on what the fees are for.

For example, at the Cadets they only have camp fees for the first couple camps, and the rest of the camps are included in the tour fees. If you get cut you get all of your money back excluding what would have been paid for the camps up to that point. If you just quit after you are offered a spot and past a certain point (February maybe?) you get less and less back depending on how close to move in it gets. Encourages people to either quit early or not quit.

I know somebody who is thinking about trying to get a refund.

Thoughts?

Mom

You can ask all you want....you won't get !!!

Once you committ to a corps and you know what you're doing for a show if you don't like it, don't go back !! B)

Edited by ODBC