Do you favor Amplied VOICE

Amplied VOICE (A Poll)  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Do you favor Amplied VOICE

• YES
    • NO
    • Undecided

I voted yes simply because had it not been approved, then I wouldn't have been able to hear Cadets 05 drumspeak and Cadets 06 ballad, both of which I love...and even parts of BD 05, which sometimes worked. Of course, there are other examples of when I didn't like it.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think the best use of amplified voice in a drum corps is the "whistle" in the Cavaliers 007 show.

The whistling was not amplified. The snapping was, but the whistling was done by the hornline and they were not amped.

It depends on how it is used.

So far, I believe that XMen's use of amp in the past year is brilliant.

Agreed. As I wrote at the time, that was the first time I've actually been totally entertained by a corps using amplified voice. Cadets '05 was acceptable, but Crossmen '06 actually made me believe that it can be a beneficial addition to a show if it's used properly ... as an integral part of the mix, without pulling the audience out of the experience. Blue Stars '06, on the other hand, was exactly what I hate about voice -- using lame narration to tell the audience what to think, instead of actually "showing" us through the music and visual.

The pro-ampers generally find themselves on the short end of these polls, then spend the majority of their posting trying to tear down the results.

The numbers are right in front of them. They just refuse to see them.

I voted no.

Garry

he shoots he scores!

Agreed. As I wrote at the time, that was the first time I've actually been totally entertained by a corps using amplified voice. Cadets '05 was acceptable, but Crossmen '06 actually made me believe that it can be a beneficial addition to a show if it's used properly ... as an integral part of the mix, without pulling the audience out of the experience. Blue Stars '06, on the other hand, was exactly what I hate about voice -- using lame narration to tell the audience what to think, instead of actually "showing" us through the music and visual.

w/Stp:

i can agree with this, tho IMO, i think the Crossmen needed a little more at the very end....the closer seemed to go nowhere after the Dj signed off

The whistling was not amplified. The snapping was, but the whistling was done by the hornline and they were not amped.

:wub: I knew that, that is what I meant... :wub: :wub: thanks for the correction.

i can agree with this, tho IMO, i think the Crossmen needed a little more at the very end....the closer seemed to go nowhere after the Dj signed off

True enough ... it wasn't quite a finalist-caliber show, but it was still darned fun.

you're right it wasn't finalist caliber. but you need the ending to be huge, and theirs was anti climatic after the Dj wished everyone safe travels. after that iwas a minute plus of music that really went nowhere