The Cavaliers

I think they do a great job showing the concepts (machine, spin cycle are my favs) but I just don't consider a Billy Joel show to be thrown in with the shows like Frameworks and Four Corners and such. I think this years show has to be based more on music than the concept of the show.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I respect your opinion and see where you are coming from, it is a little hard to judge a show with out even seeing it, hearing it, or knowing anything about it, except the idea they are planning to do for the show don't you think?

best regards,

James.

I agree that the Cavaliers have been the most unparalleled in their unique and specific themes incorporated into their show designs this decade...however, I too am having a hard time imagining Billy Joel music as a Cavaliers drum corps show and am wondering how they may continue with their gimmick show designs with this genre.

Does this mean they are going after more music G.E. to balance out the over-the-top visual G.E. moments? Give me some examples of Billy Joel tunes which would be considered a good fit. Help me understand…or maybe I will just have to be convinced when the show is on the road.

Edited by stockman365

OK, lets face it , last year there was drum corps, and then there was Cavies. No one was really a threat to them. They're the ####. I look for them to continue dominating. Billy Joel. Can't WAIT to see what they do with this!

[EDITED FOR FILTER CIRCUMVENTION--LM]

Although I respect your opinion and see where you are coming from, it is a little hard to judge a show with out even seeing it, hearing it, or knowing anything about it, except the idea they are planning to do for the show don't you think?

best regards,

James.

I see what you are saying. I'm sure once all their song choices have been announced I may warm up to the show. They are the Cavaliers, they are going to be great. I just hope that this show can live up to the shows set up through this decade.....that's my biggest worry about it.

The way I look at it, any music can work if it is done well.

How many people thought that Cadets 2004-the Jethro Tull thing was going to work, well, it did. Some may not like it, some may say it was a bad show, but it worked, it happened, they were still highly competitive and made it happen.

If the arrangements are strong, and the kids are taught well and perform them well, then I do not see how there can be anything but success. Taking the Cadets again, look at 2005, the music of Bjork, give me a break, you listen to it on CD and it's pretty cool, might work in your mind, might not, but when they brought it to the field, it most certiainly worked.

Cavies 2004, some may have said that the James Bond thing was hokey, or cheesy, but there again, it worked!

Until we hear a clip, or see a show, or in some of those rare cases get to see the score, I don't think anyone should count any corps out with any show.

What if the Cavaliers came out and did an Irish show? People constantly blast Pioneer for doing these shows, but if the Cavaliers announced an Irish theme, would there be the same reaction. Not to take anything away from the Pioneer, but people blast them automatically when they use Irish music without even giving the poor kids a chance! Then for those lucky few that do give them a chance, they're great, and the show is great, and people enjoy it.

I think it all comes down to how the music is done, and if a corps tries new things, or does music that many wouldn't, or sticks with a style/genre, wait until YOU give it a chance, do not take the word of somebody who probably has never been part of a corps and just decides they need to blast a group or their repertoire simply because it's the thing to do.

I like to give all corps, Division I, II, and III the benefit of the doubt until I see the show. If i don't see the show, I don't complain about it, because who am I to complain about something I know little, or much of the time, NOTHING about!

That's just me though.

Fire away.

My friend says that if the cavies can make the stadium sing along to Billy Joel, they deserve to win.

My friend says that if the cavies can make the stadium sing along to Billy Joel, they deserve to win.

"Sing us a song, you're the Cavaliers!"

I see t-shirt potential.