Waiting game...

Does anyone out there wait until finals to watch a show of ANY drum corps? I can imagine someone from refraining to watch a show until finals so it won't "spoil" the show if that makes any sense.

If I had the patience, I would most definitely wait until DCIWC to watch the shows, that way I wouldn't be "biased" and what not. In reality though, I can't do that, I HAVE to see a show!

For 2007, I plan to go to a June show, then the Stanford show, then the finals in Pasadena! Well, Pasadena is probably unlikely... ah well. So what do you think?

Does anyone out there wait until finals to watch a show of ANY drum corps? I can imagine someone from refraining to watch a show until finals so it won't "spoil" the show if that makes any sense.

If I had the patience, I would most definitely wait until DCIWC to watch the shows, that way I wouldn't be "biased" and what not. In reality though, I can't do that, I HAVE to see a show!

For 2007, I plan to go to a June show, then the Stanford show, then the finals in Pasadena! Well, Pasadena is probably unlikely... ah well. So what do you think?

I think that if a trip to the finals is probably unlikely, then you really have no choice..do you???

Just go and have a grand old time. What the heck....you only live once. :)

I have thought about this a lot. I just can't miss local shows going on without being there. Last year I had seen every top twelve except Carolina Crown. At semis Crown's performance gave me 11 minutes of goose bumps. All of the finalist corps get so good that last week but sometime our familiarity with the shows lessens the experience.

I CAN think of two examples of shows that I saw early and didn't like but I got the same thrill at championships as CC this year. PR 2003 is probably universal. I just didn't remember that show at all from seeing it earlier in the season. It's one of my all-time favorites from those last three performances. Also, SCV 2004 really improved. I HATED Scheherazade in San Antonio but after seeing it at quarters, I kept pulling for them to place higher.

I am a fan or drumcorps, but I don't necessarily follow corps progress. I have indeed shown up at finals without having seen most of the corps out there. I used to teach DIV 2, and our weekend routine prevented me from seeing many corps, and critique etc afterward (beers on the staff bus) kept me away from the field on many occassions.

I would be interesting so see how someone judges corps based on first veiwing at quarters, semis or finals......compared to someone that has followed progress closely all summer.

To me, drum corps shows are like fine wine: the more you hear and see them over the summer, the better they get. I try to expose myself to all of the corps (in the top 12, at least) by downloading all of the APDs and listening to them regularly so I know the ins and outs of each show, and I try to go to every show I can.

To me, drum corps shows are like fine wine: the more you hear and see them over the summer, the better they get. I try to expose myself to all of the corps (in the top 12, at least) by downloading all of the APDs and listening to them regularly so I know the ins and outs of each show, and I try to go to every show I can.

This pretty much says it for me.

I see as many shows as I can, read reviews for the ones I can't, take in all the media files on the DCI website that I can gather... the earlier the better, the middle, right through to the end ... I like to see where they start, how they progress, get to finals and watch them bring it all home ... hear them breathe after they play that last note ... watch them march out that last time ... Div I/II/III ... it's all good drum corps.

Part of the fun for me was seeing how the shows developed as the summer progressed.

For example:

1) If you only saw the last three shows you would never know when a corps added something in just for finals, thereby lessening the experience in a way.

2) Many shows change so much throughout the season that by the time they get to the end they are very different than what one sees early season.

3) If you only see the last couple of shows, then it is difficult to say whether what you saw was the best the corps had to offer. Many times, the best show of the season does not take place at nationals.

imho

See as much as you can, when you can, for as long as you can.