It amazes me

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then my friend, you have missed some very exciting shows over the years. If you are so closed mined thinking "only the corps in the top 4 are worth watching" then you have been misinformed.

I love to watch drum corps shows and I don't really care where they place. In fact, I leave before the score is announced.

Even though I don't know who the poster is that made this statement, I must point out something to back them up...

they didn't say they didn't care to watch shows that were not top 3 or 4, they simply implied that their definition of a "great" corps are those that place in the top 3 or 4.

Big difference.

This argument depends on how one defines what a "great" drum corps is. Perhaps this person thinks that those really exceptional shows...the ones that can challenge for the title, are worthy of the term "great", while other corps that fall under that mark are "very good" drum corps? If that's their premise, can you really argue? One of my favorite corps is Colts 1997...didn't even make finals. I love that show and the music, but I wouldn't necessarily consider it a "great" corps...I reserve that distinction in 97 for the Cadets, SCV, Madison, and Crossmen, the standout corps for that year TO ME.

Even though I don't know who the poster is that made this statement, I must point out something to back them up...

they didn't say they didn't care to watch shows that were not top 3 or 4, they simply implied that their definition of a "great" corps are those that place in the top 3 or 4.

Big difference.

This argument depends on how one defines what a "great" drum corps is. Perhaps this person thinks that those really exceptional shows...the ones that can challenge for the title, are worthy of the term "great", while other corps that fall under that mark are "very good" drum corps? If that's their premise, can you really argue? One of my favorite corps is Colts 1997...didn't even make finals. I love that show and the music, but I wouldn't necessarily consider it a "great" corps...I reserve that distinction in 97 for the Cadets, SCV, Madison, and Crossmen, the standout corps for that year TO ME.

True, he/she needs to define "cutoff." Does it mean any corps who placed 4th place or lower, you will simply never watch again?

I am a lover of pretty much any drum corps. I respect every corps for their hard work and dedication and I view every corps show as entertainment instead of the traditional "who is kicking ###" mentallity some people tend to have. Dont get me wrong I love BD, Cavies, and Cadets, but the innovation and excitement of this activity do not just come from the top 12.

I do get into the competition aspect. I like going online in the morning to check out the scores to see which corps is sneaking up to catch some one. I think this is mostly a way of connecting to the activity because I'm not directly invovled.

However, I think I'm able to balance that out with appreciating the education and hard work that goes on by all corps.

I tend to watch ALL corps at any given show, no "hot dog" corps for me. I applaud every corps.

My favorite show each year does tend to come from one of the top three, not neccesarily the champion. I think most of the shows I would consider truly great would be from a top 3 or maybe top 6 corps because as stated a few posts up, there is a combination of outstanding show design, talent, and execution that makes the design come to life and the show really does transform you for a breif period of time.

But I always have some favorite shows from every tier. There are also several championship shows that I respect for the execution but just don't get into or am not moved by.

I do get into the competition aspect. I like going online in the morning to check out the scores to see which corps is sneaking up to catch some one. I think this is mostly a way of connecting to the activity because I'm not directly invovled.

However, I think I'm able to balance that out with appreciating the education and hard work that goes on by all corps.

I tend to watch ALL corps at any given show, no "hot dog" corps for me. I applaud every corps.

My favorite show each year does tend to come from one of the top three, not neccesarily the champion. I think most of the shows I would consider truly great would be from a top 3 or maybe top 6 corps because as stated a few posts up, there is a combination of outstanding show design, talent, and execution that makes the design come to life and the show really does transform you for a breif period of time.

But I always have some favorite shows from every tier. There are also several championship shows that I respect for the execution but just don't get into or am not moved by.

I agree with everything you've said.

I DO, however, have difficulty applauding when a staff has clearly over-written a show for the talent level of the members. It's SOOO frustrating to watch these kids struggling with material that is clearly over their heads. I applaud, of course, for the kids efforts. They are working hard out there, and they deserve acknowledgement. I have DIFFICULTY applauding because I don't want their staff to think their design/arrangents are worthy of that applause.

The exact point--look past the little things. There are a lot of gems out there. A number of my favorite shows aren't top six and quite a few didn't make the big show. Suncoast, Marauders, Skyriders, Mandarins, Troopers, Railmen, Crossmen, and a slew of others have/do put out fantastic shows that barely get a nod.

One show that I just found was 1974 Freelancers, a very good horn line that out played the 75 and 76 lines, IMHO. If they had gone to DCI that year, I bet they could have made finals, instead of finally making it in 1976.

...and that's just DCI corps!

OT rant: Whoever thinks they have to join a top 6 corps or better to be challenged has not looked at other corps. There are many reasons why some corps place lower than others; it isn't always inadequate instruction--sometimes it could be staff coordination or even those MM's who don't think they need to learn.

Exactly. These gems is what makes drum corps so fun. I have the opposite feeling with the corps in the top 4(5). They are so clean that they become ssssoooo boring (not all but a fair amount in the past decade). I love to see the lower corps. All the oops, miscues and other performance problems just says "hey, we're human and we make mistakes".