i don't even like drum corps.

Heh. :P

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't even like drum corps.

yeah drum corps sucks.

any ways, in ways i agree and in ways i disagree (with the original poster)

any corps (well mostly) is going to be a good life changing experience.

however to get a good MUSICAL experience, you need a quality staff. and im not talking someone who played lead at bluedevils, im talking QUALITY educators. such as Downey, JD Shaw, the UofH guy at cavies, and then pat and sam at the academy, (i only know brass people)

also this might sound really horrible but its also harder (note i did not say impossible) to develop your musicianship with a bunch of people who arent really up to par. I wanted to be with people who would push me forward, and that was only possible in top 4 corps.

This isnt saying that they are the only good drum corps, some times i like the top guys alot less than the others. but when choosing the corps you are going to learn from, its just different.

in short, I understand when people only want to march in a top 3/4 corps. BUT it is completely stupid to say that those are the only corps you enjoy.

Edited by corpsismylife

in short, I understand when people only want to march in a top 3/4 corps. BUT it is completely stupid to say that those are the only corps you enjoy.

but most of the time, they ARE the only ones I enjoy. If that. I find most drum corps shows annoying , boring, and cheesy. Most of my favorite shows happen to be championship shows, and most of them happen to be performed by one corps. Can't help it! it's just my preference.

I actually think top 3/4 is a little generous, depending on the year (there are definitely some 5-6 place shows I love, but not many). I've seen plenty of third and fourth (even first and second place) shows that make me want to vomit, and usually that's an indication that I'm not going to enjoy whatever else is out there.

but, like I said, I don't even like drum corps.

. . . I did, however, enjoy Vanguard 06 a lot. Wicked drill. Star 89 is real cool, too.

Edited by jake_the_hydra

I like a show or I don't ... why should it matter where it places? Just because a corps might give a nearly flawless performance doesn't automatically mean that I have to be a fan of their show. Conversely, a corps could be fairly sloppy but still very entertaining. In their heyday, the Velvet Knights had a lot of fans, after all, and I don't believe they ever placed higher than 7th. Sometimes my favorite corps of the summer is in the top three, sometimes not. Carolina Crown was my favorite corps of '06, simply because *TO ME* they were the most entertaining. Simple as that.

Edited by Orpheus

Everyone has their biases...for example....

I enjoy Madison Scouts, Crossmen, and Vanguard almost every year. I dislike Cadets, Blue Devils, Cavaliers, and Phantom almost every year. There are always exceptions to it. (IE disliked Madison 04, Crossmen 05, and Vanguard 02....but LOVED Cavies 04, BD 06, and Phantom 06)

Those are just my personal preferences. Doesn't matter where they place (Crossmen 06) I still love them. I still appreciate what every corps does on the field because I know what it's like and I know how hard it is. Doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to like their show.

I think most people get turned off from certain lower placing corps because of cleanliness issues and intonation issues. It's hard for people to overlook these things and say "you know what, that was a cool show, it may have been dirty, but enjoyable nonetheless" again I reference crossmen 06. who knows.

Everyone has their biases...for example....

I enjoy Madison Scouts, Crossmen, and Vanguard almost every year. I dislike Cadets, Blue Devils, Cavaliers, and Phantom almost every year. There are always exceptions to it. (IE disliked Madison 04, Crossmen 05, and Vanguard 02....but LOVED Cavies 04, BD 06, and Phantom 06)

Those are just my personal preferences. Doesn't matter where they place (Crossmen 06) I still love them. I still appreciate what every corps does on the field because I know what it's like and I know how hard it is. Doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to like their show.

I think most people get turned off from certain lower placing corps because of cleanliness issues and intonation issues. It's hard for people to overlook these things and say "you know what, that was a cool show, it may have been dirty, but enjoyable nonetheless" again I reference crossmen 06. who knows.

The exact point--look past the little things. There are a lot of gems out there. A number of my favorite shows aren't top six and quite a few didn't make the big show. Suncoast, Marauders, Skyriders, Mandarins, Troopers, Railmen, Crossmen, and a slew of others have/do put out fantastic shows that barely get a nod.

One show that I just found was 1974 Freelancers, a very good horn line that out played the 75 and 76 lines, IMHO. If they had gone to DCI that year, I bet they could have made finals, instead of finally making it in 1976.

...and that's just DCI corps!

OT rant: Whoever thinks they have to join a top 6 corps or better to be challenged has not looked at other corps. There are many reasons why some corps place lower than others; it isn't always inadequate instruction--sometimes it could be staff coordination or even those MM's who don't think they need to learn.

Edited by ravedodger

OT rant: Whoever thinks they have to join a top 6 corps or better to be challenged has not looked at other corps. There are many reasons why some corps place lower than others; it isn't always inadequate instruction--sometimes it could be staff coordination or even those MM's who don't think they need to learn.

However, it often is inadequate instruction or design. Not trying to knock non-finalist corps or non-contender corps . . . Everyone has to start somewhere, there are many opportunities for learning and fantastic performances, I'm just saying that you don't see a lot of good corps folding with leadership that makes smart decisions folding.

And even if it is staff coordination or MM's with poor attitudes, those are still problems that I don't think anyone really wants to deal with.

Edited by jake_the_hydra

My cutoff is around 4th place, maybe 3rd depending on the year.

Then my friend, you have missed some very exciting shows over the years. If you are so closed mined thinking "only the corps in the top 4 are worth watching" then you have been misinformed.

I love to watch drum corps shows and I don't really care where they place. In fact, I leave before the score is announced.

Edited by Malibu