Old Senior Corps Photos

All I can tell you Tom is that the photo came out of the March, 1967 issue of Drum Corps Digest. It looks to be part of a column written by John Phillipson of Rochester. However, the Gauchos are not mentioned anywhere in his column. There is no photographer credit. Sorry 'bout that...

John Phillipson.... wow.... another blast from the past who played in the Crusaders with me... Don Incardona will flip when he sees that name... "put spinners on Mom's wheels" long story...

but the picture is NO WHERE near the 67 season... MUCH earlier... for one thing... in July of 1964, Gauchos dropped the sambreros and went to shakos because of being in several shows with Cabs... we NEVER dreamed that would ever happen when the uniform was chosen in 1960... and that IS my brother and I'm back there too as he never marched Gauchos without me... actually, he only marched Gauchos when I begged him to... So I'm thinking it's 1963... but it may very well be 1962...

Love that photo of Bobby Hoffman in post #515. In my first year in Hawthorne, I had the privilege to march alongside him as the bongo player in 1966. A true legend and genius. Learned a lot from him as well as Les Parks that year. Judging from the hatband, I'd say this is probably 1965.

The third man in our Latin section in the '66 season was Jim Nargiso, who moved to timbales in 1967. Jim is now the timbale player in our Alumni Corps. Bob stopped marching to concentrate on assisting Jim Costello with drill, and he was also drill man for the Muchachos that year.

Great memories. Thanks for posting it, Commander71!

John Phillipson.... wow.... another blast from the past who played in the Crusaders with me... Don Incardona will flip when he sees that name... "put spinners on Mom's wheels" long story...

but the picture is NO WHERE near the 67 season... MUCH earlier... for one thing... in July of 1964, Gauchos dropped the sambreros and went to shakos because of being in several shows with Cabs... we NEVER dreamed that would ever happen when the uniform was chosen in 1960... and that IS my brother and I'm back there too as he never marched Gauchos without me... actually, he only marched Gauchos when I begged him to... So I'm thinking it's 1963... but it may very well be 1962...

your right about phillipson. holy smokes. i just fell off my chair!!!

now there's a drumline for the ages. i guess you can all see i hve nothing to do.

"Drum Line For the Ages":

The end snare drummer may be none other than DCP's "Own" Andy Lisko. :thumbup: The snare to his left is John Harris. :thumbup:

I remember both of them from the old "Bridgeport" drum corps days. :blink:

Elphaba

DUNKIRKMURRAYMEN.jpg

The Murraymen of Dunkirk NY...I am a proud owner of a Murray Hose Co. #4 T-shirt!

As I noted on the junior historical side, check the baton twirler! Saw him at St. Joe's Classic one year when he appeared with the Erie Thunderbirds and he brought the house down guest-twirling with them...

DUNKIRKPATRIOTS.jpg

Dunkirk Patriots...these guys were always fun to party with. When I was with Commanders we would often choose which show to attend by the quality of the after-corps party. The Patriots show in the old RCA Circuit was not be missed by us! Off to the Koch's Beer tent!!

HAMBURG1958.jpg

Who's this? I was told it was early Hamburg Kingsmen when I got the photo but I have since been corrected! Look at them stretch the pace...beer tent must be at the end of the block!

Why that's The Flying Dutchmen of Dunkirk!!