Is There A Place In Todays Drum Corps....

When reading this thread I can't help but think about what a profound effect having a person with a disability involved in the activity would have on the experience of the rest of the members. As I'm sure anyone who has been involved with the activity knows, drum corps is about so much more than marching and playing. Any corps family would be more than lucky to have someone with a disability be a member. I can only imagine the benefits to morale, inspiration, etc. to the other members.

On that note I couldn't think of a better group of people for individuals with Down Syndrome, Autism, etc. to be around, in whatever capacity, than drum corps people. The activity attracts, and produces, the most responsible, well-rounded, talented citizens anywhere and I'm sure being involved with people of this kind of character would be just what these individuals need in terms of boosting their confidence and providing solid role models. I'm sure anyone in this activity would welcome them with open arms and give them a home (the support staff is part of the family too!).

I have been around the Dutch Boy Drum Corps since February 2004 and when my daughter was born everyone always asks me how she is doing and when I'll bring her around for them to see her.

At that point of my life both my wife and I needed that support. We needed people who not only cared about Samantha but about us too. Nobody knows how to look after or what to expect when they have a new baby with Down syndrome but everyone at Dutch Boy has made the transition from having no kids to having one with DS a lot smoother.

If it hadn't of been for my old drum corps and support staff things would be a lot tougher I am sure.

THANKS DUTCH BOY, your support means a lot to all of us !!!! ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^

Edited by ODBC

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's small payback for the way you support the corps, Old Geezer. And you can't see Sammy without falling for her - she's a real cutie!

When reading this thread I can't help but think about what a profound effect having a person with a disability involved in the activity would have on the experience of the rest of the members. As I'm sure anyone who has been involved with the activity knows, drum corps is about so much more than marching and playing. Any corps family would be more than lucky to have someone with a disability be a member. I can only imagine the benefits to morale, inspiration, etc. to the other members.

On that note I couldn't think of a better group of people for individuals with Down Syndrome, Autism, etc. to be around, in whatever capacity, than drum corps people. The activity attracts, and produces, the most responsible, well-rounded, talented citizens anywhere and I'm sure being involved with people of this kind of character would be just what these individuals need in terms of boosting their confidence and providing solid role models. I'm sure anyone in this activity would welcome them with open arms and give them a home (the support staff is part of the family too!).

Amen ... amen.

this is kind of a touchy subject...so, i'm going to try my best not to sound rude.

but i think that drum corps would probably be too hard for someone with that condition. you have to take into account the things other than playing instruments and marching. like, getting ready to move, being on a bus all night, being around 135 other people all the time that they have not met and so on. what about showering?

or what of people with autism? would they be able to handle a summer?

and if someone with a condition like these were in a corps, would the other corps members be able to handle it? would the special needs of these kids get in the way of learning or making friendships? the outcomes could certainly be interesting and amazing, but for the most part i just don't believe kids with downs or whatever else should be exposed to something like marching in a drumcorps.

and i'm certainly not saying that she or anyone can't do it...but the physical and mental stress is enough to drive people who don't have the condition to complete misery at points.

and what about physically deformed kids?

at capital we had a couple of kids try out that had deformity in their hands. despite their condition, they suprised us all and were able to play fairly well. but there was certain important aspects that were physically not possible for them to do, which led to them getting cut.

i think everyone should be given the fair chance, but some situations (like this) require a great amount of thought before something really, really bad happens.

Rob, you know anything is possible!

If you look at some of the kids we've had at Dutch over the last few years, you'd be surprized by number of them with disabilities- be it physical or mental.

One kid was legally blind- marched trumpet for 2 years

A few kids with ADHD

others with Learning disabilities

One kid had Turrets, was diagnosed with agoraphobia as a young child (recovered with meds), and couldn't write more then his name. he marched lead trumpet a couple years ago.

Never say never. And who knows, if I'm still around when she's old enough, I'd be happy to teach your daughter.

this is kind of a touchy subject...so, i'm going to try my best not to sound rude.

but i think that drum corps would probably be too hard for someone with that condition. you have to take into account the things other than playing instruments and marching. like, getting ready to move, being on a bus all night, being around 135 other people all the time that they have not met and so on. what about showering?

or what of people with autism? would they be able to handle a summer?

and if someone with a condition like these were in a corps, would the other corps members be able to handle it? would the special needs of these kids get in the way of learning or making friendships? the outcomes could certainly be interesting and amazing, but for the most part i just don't believe kids with downs or whatever else should be exposed to something like marching in a drumcorps.

and i'm certainly not saying that she or anyone can't do it...but the physical and mental stress is enough to drive people who don't have the condition to complete misery at points.

and what about physically deformed kids?

at capital we had a couple of kids try out that had deformity in their hands. despite their condition, they suprised us all and were able to play fairly well. but there was certain important aspects that were physically not possible for them to do, which led to them getting cut.

i think everyone should be given the fair chance, but some situations (like this) require a great amount of thought before something really, really bad happens.

To me, you underestimate the strength of kids with Down Syndrome, they may out work even the strongest member given the chance. :rolleyes:

Edited by ODBC

To me, you underestimate the strength of kids with Down Syndrome, they would may out due even the strongest member given the chance. :rolleyes:

Easy there Rob... you know this type of statement upsets me as well, but some people still carry the old stigma on anyone with mental ( or physical) challenges. Please, people, do not pidgeonhole these kids.. they may surprise you. Music is not only for those who seem to have no challenges.... Kirsten can play fairly decent quarter notes on a bass drum already, and is so eager to learn, as well as Sammy is.

To me, you underestimate the strength of kids with Down Syndrome, they would may out due even the strongest member given the chance. :rolleyes:
Easy there Rob... you know this type of statement upsets me as well, but some people still carry the old stigma on anyone with mental ( or physical) challenges. Please, people, do not pidgeonhole these kids.. they may surprise you. Music is not only for those who seem to have no challenges.... Kirsten can play fairly decent quarter notes on a bass drum already, and is so eager to learn, as well as Sammy is.

All I was saying is that this person may not have had any experience with kids with Down syndrome and he/she may not know what these kids can do, that's all !! (It was not meant to be nasty or harsh.)