Is There A Place In Todays Drum Corps....

this is kind of a touchy subject...so, i'm going to try my best not to sound rude.

but i think that drum corps would probably be too hard for someone with that condition. you have to take into account the things other than playing instruments and marching. like, getting ready to move, being on a bus all night, being around 135 other people all the time that they have not met and so on. what about showering?

or what of people with autism? would they be able to handle a summer?

and if someone with a condition like these were in a corps, would the other corps members be able to handle it? would the special needs of these kids get in the way of learning or making friendships? the outcomes could certainly be interesting and amazing, but for the most part i just don't believe kids with downs or whatever else should be exposed to something like marching in a drumcorps.

and i'm certainly not saying that she or anyone can't do it...but the physical and mental stress is enough to drive people who don't have the condition to complete misery at points.

and what about physically deformed kids?

at capital we had a couple of kids try out that had deformity in their hands. despite their condition, they suprised us all and were able to play fairly well. but there was certain important aspects that were physically not possible for them to do, which led to them getting cut.

i think everyone should be given the fair chance, but some situations (like this) require a great amount of thought before something really, really bad happens.

Well first, it depends on the corps. Maybe someone could handle a div I tour but there is also div II/III. There's a place for everyone.

It also depends on the individual, the specific hadidcap and the severity of it and their attitude etc. When ever auditions come up on other threads things like attitude and work ethic always are mentioned as being very important. We all know lots of healthy "regular" kids who don't have the drive to get their ### off the couch to do anything.

As a former teacher I've seen what a difference the parents make with proper nuturing and support. With a father like Rob I wouldn't rule out anything.

Edited by shawn craig

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter would probably be better suited for a Division II/III corps, I wouldn't expect her to even attempt a Divison 1 corps. The Division II/III atmosphere is better suited for someone with Down syndrome. The pressures aren't there and the absence away from here mother would take a huge toll on her, of course I would be on tour with her. (HAHA)

I'm just trying to see if the exceptance of someone with DS in todays drum corps is there. With most of the responses I have received both on here and email, I think it is there. Sure she will have her good days and her bad days but we all have those. The one thing I can say with all truth, when she puts her mind to something, she continues it until she is done.

She is only 19 months old now but she will make one dandy mascot in three years !! B)

and what about physically deformed kids?

at capital we had a couple of kids try out that had deformity in their hands. despite their condition, they suprised us all and were able to play fairly well. but there was certain important aspects that were physically not possible for them to do, which led to them getting cut.

One of the great mello players/soloists of all time, Barbara Maroney from the Cadets, marched with only one hand.

Her name is all over the best solist thread.

this is kind of a touchy subject...so, i'm going to try my best not to sound rude.

i think everyone should be given the fair chance, but some situations (like this) require a great amount of thought before something really, really bad happens.

It's too bad that your staff could not find a spot for them in you show, were they given a chance to proof themselves ? :lookaround:

after seeing the movie "The Ringer", you know the one where johnny knoxville fixes the special olympics, it has given me even more insight on what mentally ######## people can do. the fact that the movie was supported by the special olympics is a great thing along with the fact that out of the entire cast, all of the "handicapped" people except for two, had a real condition. johnny knoxville was one of them and the large guy with the glasses that made his eyes seem like they were about to explode. i was impressed with this movie after the group of guys johnny started to hang out with after he admitted to them about not being ######## at some capacity.

my mom's best friend has a mildly ######## daughter with very little speech capabilities, but she can do so much with her "disability" getting in the way of some things.

i put the words disability and handicapped in quotations because after dealing with the kids at my high school, they are not disabled or handicapped more than anybody else. i feel that i learned more about life and myself than in any other way.

In todays society, at least with the parents of these kids, the words "mentally retarted" don't exist. The way you should relate to these kids are "Living with Down syndrome".

I had a guy with Down syndrome say to me the first time I met them "I am living with Down syndrome, please don't call me mentally retarted !!" I said "OK, I won't !!"

This guy shook my hand and said to me "We're shaking hands you're my friend !!"

That was a moment I will never forget.

• 2 months later...

This issue is hitting me really hard right now. I have a friend in my disability club I am in who is mentally handicaped. She wants to tour with me this summer really badly, but I don't know what would work out for her. She just really wants to help my corps in some way. She can walk around and stuff, but she has a severe brain injury, so I don't know if she could play a horn and our drumline is very competitive. Any ideas corps family? I don't want to let her down. She's a great kid.