Is There A Place In Todays Drum Corps....

folks one of DCP's own, Allee, played tympani despite vision impairment.

if you want it bad enough, you can make it happen

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

folks one of DCP's own, Allee, played tympani despite vision impairment.

if you want it bad enough, you can make it happen

Yeah....but that's a physical ipariment...of which there have been several in corps hitory at all levels, including winning DCI...the issue here is MENTAL impairment....but I agree with your sentiment, regardless.

I have a brother who has severe Down Syndrome, and he would not be able to ever have any ability to do much of anything with corps. HOWEVER, that didn't stop him from coming to VK practices and LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT--and coming to shows as well to see me perform.

There are definitely different levels of ability when it comes to Down Syndrome folks, and the mildly affected COULD very well march.

I guess it depends on the individual in question, as there are varying types and levels of mental disabilities.

I think my primary concern if I were the parent of such a child would be, what sort of care would the corps provide him or her over the summer? Would they be equipped with the resources and the people with the knowledge of how to care for the kid? Those are the kind of things we look for in schools nowadays, and I wouldn't think that would be any different with a corps.

And I agree with the previous poster who said that the Honor Guard would be a great way to participate.

Edited by Galen

Thought provoking thread. Thank you.

Take her to shows next summer if there are any close by ... let her experience the sounds and sights ... let her go at her own pace. Do you play the corps DVDs for her? Kids of any age really get into music.

We have a special needs granddaughter who loves drum corps. We were worried that the crowds, the horns and percussion and the general noise would frighten her. Ha! She waves her arms in time to the music and smiles and smiles. She's almost nine and is profoundly ########, both mentally and physically. But that little girl sure digs corps. It's fun watching her watch and react ...

:)

......And I agree with the previous poster who said that the Honor Guard would be a great way to participate......

This is an excellent point, and perhaps a good example of where DCI can learn from DCA. If I'm not mistaken, DCA allows Honor Guards without counting them (technically) as part of the corps on the competition field. But with DCI's 135 rule they don't want it counted towards total membership so they use them only at retreat. Why not put them back out there? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Piper

I guess it depends on the individual in question, as there are varying types and levels of mental disabilities.

Knowing some people with different types (including Downs and a 'Rainman' type) and degrees of mental impairment at work, neighborhod, family (cousin) and church this is a huge point (IMO). One problem is the short attention span some of the folks I know seem to have. IMO depends on the individual and one size does not fit all.

Not trying to be a downer, just adding to what Ryan and others have stated.

I am sure there will be a corps out there that would welcome her. I would bet on it, and plan on it. If she didn't make it, like many non-challenged people, it was the trying that we learn from. But I am sure she will be there in some aspect. Don't forget about the support teams. They are the backbone of EVERY corps. My cousin has DS, He was not supposed to make it to 20. He is 44 now and still rides horses and is involved in special Olympics in Northern Ireland. Your wee girl will be as great as he is, Trust me. Best of luck. :)

Edited by Jimisback

I've been trying to search for this thread and can't find it (maybe it's too old) - there was a girl in the Troopers' pit in 2005 who had some disabilities. She tried several positions and the corps worked with her to make sure she was comfortable working in a place that was fulfilling and appropriate to her ability. Her mother kept us all up on her activities through the auditions and season - it was quite moving.

Most of the posts on here are what I was kind of looking for. SUPPORT for the mentally disabled and a show of compassion for these individuals.

I'm hoping that my daughters Down syndrome is not too sever but I was thinking that there has to be somewhere in this activity for these kids.

Even if it is on the National party or even as a mascot.

I am trying to make my daughter feel like she is part of something great, like drum corps.

Edited by ODBC