Is There A Place In Todays Drum Corps....

With todays drill and music so intricate and fast is there a place for kids with Down syndrome.

If these kids can do something in todays drum corps what would it be.

My daughter, who is 19 months old and my avatar, has Down syndrome and I was wundering if there was something that she could possibly do when she gets of age to march.

If she can't do something in the corps proper, maybe cooking or equipment or uniforms.

I have seen what kids with Down syndrome can do and I think there is a place in drum corps but what I don't know. Things have changed so much since I marched but these kids with Down syndrome have come such a long way since they were locked away in institutions back in the days before the early 1980's.

What do you think ?

Edited by ODBC

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't have anhy experience with anyone with Downs, but I would suspect by the time she gets corpa age, the drill will be even mroe difficult...probably too much so for her. However, there's always pit percussion...I'm certain a good director could find a place for her...in support if not in the performing unit.

Thought provoking thread. Thank you.

Take her to shows next summer if there are any close by ... let her experience the sounds and sights ... let her go at her own pace. Do you play the corps DVDs for her? Kids of any age really get into music.

We have a special needs granddaughter who loves drum corps. We were worried that the crowds, the horns and percussion and the general noise would frighten her. Ha! She waves her arms in time to the music and smiles and smiles. She's almost nine and is profoundly ########, both mentally and physically. But that little girl sure digs corps. It's fun watching her watch and react ...

Having met Marilyn's granddaughter, I can attest to how well she reacts to any show she sees.

Honestly, I think there is a place for anyone who wants to march, regardless of mental and physical incapacities. May not necessarily be a perennial top-12 corps, but someone will let them live their dream.

i've seen a girl with down syndrome spin flag and dance in a high school winter guard. she was really good too actually. i don't really know if drum corps would be the right place for a kid with down syndrome (not saying it couldn't happen!) but i'm sure they could get involved with their high school programs and such. the front ensamble (pit) percussion would probably be a good place too. Doing drill might be kinda dangerous though...i haven't really had a whole lot of experience with these kids though, so i'm just throwing some things out there. let me know what you think.

You should look into the Florida Special Needs Color Guard.

They performed at WGI Finals last year, and I promise you there wasn't a dry eye in the house. Those kids define "inspiration." I'm getting choked up just thinking about it.

I have a brother with Downs that went on tour with my parents when I marched, and he really enjoyed it. He would help the cooks.

My daughter listens to drum corps DVD's, thanks to me, all the time. She stands there looks at me and pretneds to conduct.

Her favorites are 1989 SCV and 1991 Star of Indiana and goes absolutely bizerk over 1992 VK !! GO FIGURE !! :drool: