Soloist with best tone quality?

'K....you have GOT to explain this one!

Zingali decided to "Disco" up our rendition of "Celebrate". Toward the end of the song, there are three very short solos - and all three soloists are out in front of the horn arc at the same time. Marc would break into a kind of free-form dance, and is clearly seen on the 1978

DCI broadcast video. I heard it was played at one of The Cadets banquets one year, much to Marc's chagrin.

You can also see the rifles doing a disco like hand-clap on the same video. Both look kind of goofy by today's drum corps dance standards, but they were considered fairly "hip" back in the day. (1978) B)

Zingali decided to "Disco" up our rendition of "Celebrate". Toward the end of the song, there are three very short solos - and all three soloists are out in front of the horn arc at the same time. Marc would break into a kind of free-form dance, and is clearly seen on the 1978

DCI broadcast video. I heard it was played at one of The Cadets banquets one year, much to Marc's chagrin.

You can also see the rifles doing a disco like hand-clap on the same video. Both look kind of goofy by today's drum corps dance standards, but they were considered fairly "hip" back in the day. (1978) B)

BWWHHAAAAAAAA!!!! Thanks! That's definitely the kind of thing that comes back to haunt!

BWWHHAAAAAAAA!!!! Thanks! That's definitely the kind of thing that comes back to haunt!

THIS TOPIC IS CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS TOPIC IS CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ironically enough Marc, that was the first PBS DCI broadcast I ever saw. Who would of thunk that you would of ended up coming out to Indiana to teach a bunch of bandos, including myself in 1985???!!!!!

xoxo,

Sara

Edited by SaraNYC

Ironically enough Marc, that was the first PBS DCI broadcast I ever saw. Who would of thunk that you would of ended up coming out to Indiana to teach a bunch of bandos, including myself in 1985???!!!!!

xoxo,

Sara

Hey Sara, I guess that's something you and I have in common uh, we can say Marc taught us the drill he wrote. :)

(Sorry Marc, I couldn't resist, I think the dance was sweet for it's time :P ).

Oh and btw Jimmy you can clearly see it on the 78 DVD legacy also..pretty "fly" for a white guy..:) :P

Edited by Lancerlady

Baritone-2004 SCV solo, NICE!

I had forgotten about this guy, I don't know his name, but the piccolo soprano solo in 1982 SCV's show... :rolleyes:

I think the mello soloist for Garfield (1983, 84) was even better. I wish I could remember her name. But she went on to instruct Crossmen for a year or 2. I loved her solo in the 84 West Side Story show.

Considering the instruments

Soprano

Piccolo soprano

Trumpet

Piccolo trumpet

Mellophone (G)

Mellophone (F)

Fluegelhorn

Baritone/Euphonium (G)

Baritone/Euphonium (Bb)

Contra

Tuba

which soloist in DCI was able to play each instrument with the most characteristic sound?

For mellophone in G, I'm going to have to pick Chris Lewis, Garfield Cadets' mellophone soloist in 1985 and 1986. I simply haven't heard a more beautiful mellophone sound...ever.

It's OK if you don't know the name...just make sure we know who you're talking about!

P.S.- Did the Blue Devils ever have any "meehaphone" solos back in the day (whatever those were)?