Soloist with best tone quality?

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Each and everyone.

I'll bring a litlle East Coast in here for a minute.

101 must be remembered soloists ............ Jeff Kivit 75 Muchachos Sop....... no words are needed just find a recording and listen.

a couple other favs for the record.

Tim Barthlomew (Shorty) ............. Ice Castles-81 Garfield Sop.......... PHAAAAAAAAAT

Jim Cooper ................ Jeremiah intro-85 Garfield Bari......... One breath and all sweetness

Al Chez ................... 81 Garfield Sop .......Personality and performance. Tore up the house every night.

I know I said east Coast but......... No one should ever say the words Mellaphone and Soloist in the same sentence and not at least acknowledge Bonnie Ott. Period.

thanks SULLY.

for the record. MY favs.

Chris Metzger-1975 Madison. he is the man

Keivit -Muchochos-1974-1975

Pete ? 1981 BD-wow

1989 BD soloist who folded.all year he was the best.

2000-2002 BD he had my attitude.loved it

Jim Brady 77 bayonne -sweet....

Bonny Ott. all years , all corps.

more to come......

Snare - Tim Green, Cadets '00

Shouldn't tone quality for a percussion instrument be credited to the guy who tuned the drum before the show, since a marching member can't influene the tone of the drum during playing like a brass player can.

Shouldn't tone quality for a percussion instrument be credited to the guy who tuned the drum before the show, since a marching member can't influene the tone of the drum during playing like a brass player can.

Yes you can. The technique you use with the stick to approach the drum greatly influences the sound. I would say that quality of sound is arguably the most important part of playing percussion along with playing clean within the line.

Soprano is easy...

Mike Collins during the slow section of Channel One Suite in 1986 Blue Devils. Simply amazing, and it looked effortless.

"Soloists With Tone":

David Lang (Baritone) and Greg "Harpo" Blum (Soprano) from the Colts. Incredible hornplayers and DEDICATED, as either one of them could have marched with ANYBODY, but chose to remain with and "Age Out" of their corps.

I believe both of them won their respective DCI "Indy" Championships back in the 1970s.

Elphaba

• Like 1

that's like saying that brass scores should be attributed to the person who tuned players.

The person with most control over the tone quality of any instrument is undoubtedly the person playing it.

"Soloists With Tone":

David Lang (Baritone) and Greg "Harpo" Blum (Soprano) from the Colts. Incredible hornplayers and DEDICATED, as either one of them could have marched with ANYBODY, but chose to remain with and "Age Out" of their corps.

I believe both of them won their respective DCI "Indy" Championships back in the 1970s.

Elphaba

Dave Lang was incredible. Not only great tone, but probably the fullest sound I ever heard out of a bari. He could have played from the backstands and you would still hear him clear as a bell.

Perhaps the best soprano soloist of all-time -- I know it's a huge statement -- is Adam Rappa from East Coast Jazz. Incredible tone. Unbelievable range. And no one I have heard ever improvised better than he did. Had he chosen to march with one of the big boys -- maybe BD or Madison -- he would be a legend. Those who have played with him in BLAST! can attest to what a MONSTER musician he is. Simply incredible.

thanks SULLY.

for the record. MY favs.

Chris Metzger-1975 Madison. he is the man

Yup he shoulda been on my 101 list next to Jeff

Jim Brady 77 bayonne -sweet....

:doh: Yes, HIM, he's the one...my husband thinks he's the best as well.