Soloist with best tone quality?

I'll give a shout out to the 92 Cavies contra line for 8 long tones before teh lead in to the perc break.....bar none the most pure low tones I've ever hear...I sometimes rewidn teh Cd to that point to hear them, NOT the melody i teh uppers!

What about when Star did Close Encounters on the Contra's and they hit that low note? :)

What about when Star did Close Encounters on the Contra's and they hit that low note? :)

:drool:

That was awesome and all, but I think this topic is about tone quality. And uh...yeah...

• Like 1

I've always been a fan of:

PR 1991 - JD Shaw mello solo(s)

PR 1991 - Euph Solo - maybe a little bit edgy

G-men 1999 - Falvey duet (great mello solo - love that sustain at the end)

SCV 1999 - Baritone solo in the ballad

For soprano, I would go with the soloist from 27 in 1981 in Greatest Love of All. Simply one of the prettiest solos ever in DCI history.

For G bari, my first thoughts go to the Dindi duet from BD '81. A very close second would be the bari soloist from Guardsmen '79 in tiger of San Pedro.

I'm not trying to be a homer, but...

I'll have to go with Carl Allison of the Freelancers--late 70's to early 80's he did some awesome solos on bari.

On mellophone, I forget the guy's name, but '84 Freelancers in What Is Hip?--fairly intricate work with great tone. There are only a few mello soloists who stand out IMO--so many have a very unsupported and hollow sound. The soloists that most would agree on are the '88 Scouts guy, and Barbara Maroney

On soprano--there are way too many to list. It's also impossible to define a single "characteristic sound" when dealing with a wide variety of musical styles.

• Like 1

I also think the guy who played the 88 Madison Scouts mellophone solo was very sexy and incredible sounding. :drool: So it's a tie for me between him and Barbara on different styles anyway.

That would be Kent Rockow.

####! I talked about mello soloists and forgot about Bonnie Ott--I know I'm going to hell now. Anyway--she's up in there with my top four.

Pic Sop - Dan Rittaco - 87 Madison - Stars and Stripes

Sop - 02 Cavies for quality of sound and technique, 95 Madison for style and all out blowing the house down (honorable mention to 84

BD - La Fiesta)

Fluegal - 01-02 Glassmen

Mellophone - Barbara Maroney - 83, 84 Garfield, with Honorable mention to Jill Clemens - 85-86 Suncoast (and I&E winner both years)

French Horn - 84 Blue Devils - La Fiesta

Baritone - 83 Sky Ryders, Macarena and 84 Phantom, Armenian Dances (same guy both years)

Euphonium - 93 BD all during the show

Contra - 83 Sky Ryders, Macarena