Cadets

Maybe this is just Hrothgar's brilliant plan to get everyone to defend The Cadets.

Seriously though, there have been so many threads hijacked by him lately, with most of them being negative. Not to mention the fact that the posts are usually something nobody wants to read on here. I know I'm speaking generally, but I'm sure it's pretty close to that as it is. He may not be breaking any community guidelines, but there is defininetly something "destructive" about these numerous posts.

I would ask if there are any changes that could be made by the Mods that would help the situation, but I'm sure everyone will just be told to calm down. After all, we're all responding to the bait just as much as he is. The problem is, there is only one consistent problem and that seems to be Hrothgar. Sorry to bring this up publically, but I felt like it would get more accomplished. I'm also sure there are many people who would like to know of a solution, not just me.

I second this post.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I do believe that people choose to be angry...no one can really make another person angry.

Have to disagree with that one. If I pay $$$$ for a show, movie, concert, whatever and someone is talking louder than the sound I paid to hear than the reason for anger is not me. IMO, the reason for anger is the person who doesn't have the respect of others or common sense to tone it down.

Or for an example outside of DC. Let's say someone commits a senseles act of violence against you or your family and you're angry about it. IMO that person and their actions are the cause of the anger. To say the anger is not their fault is releasing them from any resposiblility for their actions.

Sorry, but "ALICE GET READY FOR A MIND-BLOWING AFTERNOON" is not music.

Neither was the babble about the "four freedoms" that the Blue Stars dribbled into a mike, but you don't hear the uproar about that and you didn't hear any booing when they performed. And yet I found what the Blue Stars did as more offensive, sappy, pandering, cheesy and over the top than "one nation under god". And the Blue Stars' pandering lasted for the full length of the show and not just for the ten seconds "one nation..." took to say. Funny how it's OK for some to do it but not others.

And yet still, the crowd probably would have stoned me had I booed or made some obnoxious comment about what I didn't like about the show (like "facism lives") during a quiet section of the Blue Stars' performance. I guess "freedom of speech" isn't as free as we claim it to be. Either that or some of us know how to be respectful to the kids who are busting butt to perform what they were given no matter what they were given. And we can then use a more mature concept of freedom of speech to write letters, make calls, or have direct discussions with the designers, staff, administration, etc. of the "offending" corps when and how appropriate.

First of all, I didn't even say a word during the Cadets show the three times I saw it. However, when I saw them in Powder Springs, the man sitting in front of me did indeed shout "NOT DRUM CORPS!" in between "History Repeating" and "White Rabbit." He proceeded to shake his head and express his displeasure (vocally) for the remainder of the show.

Then that person was actnig in an inappropriate manner and should have been thrown out of the stadium for ruining the show for those around him.

It doesn't give you the right to act in just as boorish a manner.

Thank GOD! Someone said this!!!!! Seriously, I cannot believe that people are UPSET about the Cadets doing anything political like that, oh wait, it is NOT political at all. Saying that you are AMERICAN doesn't mean anything! I think it is a GREAT thing, especially since the roots of Drum Corps is just that: AMERICAN! GOD BLESS AMERICA AND THE CADETS WHO ARE NOT AFRAID OF LAZY BLOGGERS!

I hate to think what the threads would have been like in 1970 when we were nearly kicked out of the VFW Nats for making our Peace Sign the first time.

:)

That's probably because they threaten the tradition of drum corps more often as of late....whatever tradition means, right?

I personally like what the Cadets are doing lately. It's about time. DCI has always been too "good ole boy" for me, anyways.

Actually, I don't believe they do threaten the traditions of drum corps at all. They honor them at the very highest level.

Thank God the majority doesnt feel this way, or those at the helm of the Cadets machine, or we would see more of it in 2007.

~G~

However do you know that? You are just making that up out of thin air. You can speak for yourself, but not for 'the majority' or the Cadets staff.

I hate to think what the threads would have been like in 1970 when we were nearly kicked out of the VFW Nats for making our Peace Sign the first time.

:)

Ah c'mon Mike, we all know that was really an upside down Mercedes-Benz hood ornament. :rolleyes: ^0^

Deserve ?? You as a performer deserve better than what was given to you last year.

It was an off year. It happens to corps. Especially when said corps is taking an approach that has not been tried. I wonder how many 06 Cadets would agree that their experience last summer and that they "deserved better".

We as audience, fans and paying customers deserve better than what was given to us.

You may think you deserve better, but no corps is beholden to please you. Believe it or not, people DID enjoy the Cadets show last year. And you had 11 other corps on Finals night to make up for whatever personal slight you felt the Cadets were dealing you.

It is our choice to accept it, enjoy it, hate it, clap politely, sit on our hands, or of someone wants to (approve or not, I dont but totally can relate) boo, if one feels they must. If you accept the fanatical screaming of approval, you must also accept the opposite. No "kid" should be lied to, thats far more damaging than the truth.

This is not an issue of truth vs. lies. It's about respect. These kids give up their entire summer and spend thousands of dollars to put on these shows for you. Regardless of design, you respect and applaud their effort.

And, since you folks want to beat the dead horse at one end of the spectrum, Ill kick him around at the opposite end: If there were sero people in the audience and zero dollars coming in, there would be no drum corps period. It's not just about the "kids".

But we all know that's never going to happen.