Cadets

I would have cared if he had tried to ruin my final performance ever. Not to mention the DVDs and CDs of my final performance ever.

I agree. Or ANY of my performances for that matter. You only have a limited number of opportunities in this activity to have great performances. I was able to tune out all of the random yelling, but at some moments you just can't ignore it. I marched with people where yelling during shows sometimes did affect their performance, and that was yelling that wasn't even negative towards the corps.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously I have no idea what the members thought of their show. I'm just saying that I personally thought that that action would have been for the benefit of the kids. Feel free to disagree with me.

Explain how ruining their final performance would benefit them.

Actually, I don't believe they do threaten the traditions of drum corps at all. They honor them at the very highest level.

I agree. The people who oppose the narraration stuff feel they are threatening the traditions of drum corps. I feel that drum corps is about perfection of performance and attainment of great work ethic, and everything else is second to this.

I feel that drum corps is about perfection of performance and attainment of great work ethic, and everything else is second to this.

Couldn't have said it any better. Everything else is small potatoes. I love tradition, but drum corps has and will evolve. Individual traditions make a drum corps a drum corps, but drum corps AS A WHOLE is the EXPERIENCES we have (ironic that the Cadets show this year plays on that)...

Obviously I have no idea what the members thought of their show. I'm just saying that I personally thought that that action would have been for the benefit of the kids. Feel free to disagree with me.

Okay...I will.

You think what you wanted to do would have benefited the members? Right?

#1...who appointed YOU their saviour? Did you ever think about asking those "kids" if they needed, or better yet WANTED your help? Were they slipping notes into the stands asking anyone that reads them to help save them, that they were being held against their will and being forced to perform ungodly things?

#2...although we call them "kids", they are young adults...young adults that know how to make their voice heard. I haven't met many teenagers today that are quiet when they feel strongly about something. I have no doubt that if they were totally unhappy with what they were doing, they might have done something about it.

You can make all the claims you want that state otherwise, but one thing is certain to me...your wish to scream on the recording was solely for personal reasons, it has NOTHING to do with benefiting the members or attempting to force changes in drum corps.

And why would you not have screamed just because there was a staff member next to you? I'll tell you...you KNOW it was the wrong thing to do and you didn't want to get the crap beat out of you. Your subconscious mind protected you!

Please...get over this "it's for the member's benefit" crap...if something is truly for the members, one must at least engage a few of them in conversation first.

Can I go murder some guy that robbed a bank? Yes I can. Plus, it will help my plan of teaching others not to do that and it's for that guys own good. I can firmly believe this and it's my opinion.

I do NOT believe this, just making a point. It's not nearly that extreme, but that's how I view Hrothgar's view on this subject. He's strong in his opinion, which is fine, and there are 40 other people strong in theirs. It's just hard to understand where Hrothgar's coming from because the 40 of us would NEVER even think about doing what he has thought of (and likely would have done). Likewise, it's hard to understand where the murderer was coming from, because it's something that's shouldn't even be mentionable (in our eyes).

Hrothgar, I'm not saying you're as bad as the example above. Can you see though how many people can view that as poor taste and bad character? I'm just trying to give you an outside look of what many of us may feel. You're very strong in your opinions and I'm sure you won't read this well or take it to heart, but I just wanted to put it out there for that little chance. You might feel the same way about us, and that's fine. It's just hard for me, and others I'm sure, to understand where you're coming from because it's so off-the-wall and horrible in our minds to disrespect (our opinion of disrespect) the hard work the members put in.

I feel that drum corps is about perfection of performance and attainment of great work ethic, and everything else is second to this.

Interesting how this has evolved (had to use that word :P ) over the years. Most people I talked to in my day thought what made corps different from band was very, if not the most, important thing about corps. Today a lot of current members feel their experience is what makes corps unique.

* Based on thread I started a while back *

Deserve ?? You as a performer deserve better than what was given to you last year.

And why is that? I perform what they give me. During the season, I will love whatever it is I'm performing so that it enhances my performance. Does this mean it's my favorite show of all time? Not a chance. What if I think that the 1992 Velvet Knights deserved better than what was given to them that year? (sarcasm on) Why, that's not drum corps! Corps aren't allowed to make fun of other corps! I can't believe their staff would let them perform that, much less actually write it into the show! What a mocery of DCI as a whole! (sarcasm off)

We as audience, fans and paying customers deserve better than what was given to us.

You, as audience, fans, and paying customers will get whatever comes your way, just like at any other concert. You have no say in what is performed, and choose to enjoy whichever parts of the performance you can. Go to an opera performance...now THOSE are some die-hard fans. Sheesh.

No "kid" should be lied to, thats far more damaging than the truth.

Have you ever talked to a kid about Santa Clause while that child still thought he was real? You lied to him! You are damaging his poor little mind! And how about the Easter Bunny, or Tooth Fairy? Oh no! Parents all over the world are DAMAGING THEIR KIDS! Somebody call social services! Kids NEED to be lied to many times to help build up their confidence and character. One of the things I learned in college - If you ever stifle a child's development by telling them that what they did was wrong, chances are that they won't do it again. It's just like bullying.

And, since you folks want to beat the dead horse at one end of the spectrum, Ill kick him around at the opposite end: If there were sero people in the audience and zero dollars coming in, there would be no drum corps period. It's not just about the "kids"

And, if there were no performers on the field because they were tired of being beaten around by the audience, there'd be now shows for fans to pay money to go to. It works both ways, buddy.

Can I go murder some guy that robbed a bank? Yes I can. Plus, it will help my plan of teaching others not to do that and it's for that guys own good. I can firmly believe this and it's my opinion.

I do NOT believe this, just making a point. It's not nearly that extreme, but that's how I view Hrothgar's view on this subject. He's strong in his opinion, which is fine, and there are 40 other people strong in theirs. It's just hard to understand where Hrothgar's coming from because the 40 of us would NEVER even think about doing what he has thought of (and likely would have done). Likewise, it's hard to understand where the murderer was coming from, because it's something that's shouldn't even be mentionable (in our eyes).

Hrothgar, I'm not saying you're as bad as the example above. Can you see though how many people can view that as poor taste and bad character? I'm just trying to give you an outside look of what many of us may feel. You're very strong in your opinions and I'm sure you won't read this well or take it to heart, but I just wanted to put it out there for that little chance. You might feel the same way about us, and that's fine. It's just hard for me, and others I'm sure, to understand where you're coming from because it's so off-the-wall and horrible in our minds to disrespect (our opinion of disrespect) the hard work the members put in.

Of course I see where you guys are coming from. I just happen to disagree, and I hold nothing against you guys for that. And I also believe I'm not disrespecting the hard work of the members, but rather the decisions of the design team. Similarly, when I clap for a show, I'm not just clapping for the performance aspects, but for the drill writer, the arranger, the composer, the staff members, etc.

Edited by Hrothgar15

I'm just surprized to see a current Cadets member actually post on DCP.

I know Drew and after being around the young MAN the last few years. I am sure he will add to conversations in a very repectful manner.

Not only is he a talented player but a valued member not only to our corps but I am pretty sure the Cadets can say the same. (since he has marched there before)

If he were my kid I would be very proud of him

Edited by Bond624