Your Favorite Staff Member and Why

Jeff Bolduc - taught me more about brass playing than anyone else. Period.

Jason Bentley - the man knows his technique. He pushed me every day and wasn't afraid to call me out. I appreciate that. Crossmen are lucky.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brass

Matt Harloff

Donnie VanDoren

Ben Harloff

Larry Shane

Michael Klesch

and the entire Carolina Crown Brass Staff. There are too many to elaborate on or name, but they are all great musicians, teachers, and people. They could always get us to reach new heights, and I believe that is what they will do in the future.

Visual

Ralph Stewart

Bob Medworth (Uncle Bob)

Nick Smith

Like the Brass the whole visual staff was great. I just spent most of my time with these guys. I learned a lot from these guys, and they pushed me to always be my best.

Alan Armstrong

It would take me years to say why. That man has spread his influence into everything I do in my life and I could never repay him for the things he has helped me do, even without realizing it. As I said, I won't try to tell you why he is amazing.

Freddy Martin

Alan's teacher....so much of Alan I can see in Freddy. This man is so subtle, but the way he teaches...is unparalleled in the activity for current instructors. Something has to be going right if your two sons are two of the finest trumpet players in America. This man never fails to get a laugh and knows how to be a genuine friend while at the same time, managing to bring forth playing you never knew you had.

Alan Armstrong

It would take me years to say why. That man has spread his influence into everything I do in my life and I could never repay him for the things he has helped me do, even without realizing it. As I said, I won't try to tell you why he is amazing.

Freddy Martin

Alan's teacher....so much of Alan I can see in Freddy. This man is so subtle, but the way he teaches...is unparalleled in the activity for current instructors. Something has to be going right if your two sons are two of the finest trumpet players in America. This man never fails to get a laugh and knows how to be a genuine friend while at the same time, managing to bring forth playing you never knew you had.

:angry::angry::worthy::worthy:

Since I marched many years ago (1979), I would have to say our drum major (Jeff Fiedler). He was not only a great drum major, but definitely an awesome leader and person. Our staff was ok, but you could tell that Jeff was going to be something special for the Corps in the future. The current memebers are sure lucky to have him as their Director. No wonder the Cavaliers have won 7 DCI titles. Jeff was very important in getting the current staff together and working as a team.

Edited by cavies79

The staff members that left a lasting impression on me during my marching career were as follows:

Albert Lo: Marched Regiment back in the early 80's, taught in the late 80's and into the 90's. Such a wealth of knowledge and motivation from such an unassuming person at first glance. He was the reason for my return to the corps after my rookie season in 1991. He had a genuine concern for his section and the corps. I have nothing but the utmost admiration for what Albert taught me when I marched my three seasons. Now he is a DCI Judge and a band director in San Antonio Texas. His students are very lucky to have him as a teacher and mentor.

Dan Farrell: LORD FARRELL. He was the sound of the hornline and will continue to be the main driving force of what the Phantom Regiment has been and will continue to be for many years to come. My fondest memories of Dan have been when he would pull the hornline together and motivate us to give that extra "umph" to get to the next level. A constant perfectionist and motivator of what he wants for the hornline, he is the true embodiment of what Phantom Regiment hornline is!

Tony Hall: I have never met anyone on the visual side of the corps that could do what Tony did for the corps. Another person who knew how to motivate a group of people at the drop of a hat. So few people could apply everyday events into life lessons. Also was a visionary for the corps during his first year with us (1993-my ageout year) and took the visual program to a new level. He also had to fill some very big shoes left by John Brazalle. But his vision of the visual program led to the implementation of the Crab-walking Wedge with the 360 rotation, the "On filed" Pit and its use in the drill and the use of the Regiment Helmet as a framework for "The Fire of Eternal Glory". What else can be said.

Well, he wasn't a staff member, but I'd have to say:

Loren Schneider.

He was a baritone player, and I was a simpering rookie jerkoff who was barely hanging on for his life in SCV 88..............he took me under his wing (in a HARD way) and he helped me really work to achieve that which I did not think I could do. Yes, his mentorship was HARD and in no way easy, but he CARED, and that's the important thing. He wasn't hazing the rookie, he was enabling him to achieve that which he did not think was possible. And I am grateful for it to this day.

Alan Armstrong

Thank you, Chris! Alan has definitely been the most influential teacher I've EVER met, in any field.

Edited by kadune

David Bertman- one of the best band directors in the country, easily

Mike McIntosh- one of the best people i've ever met