Horn companies...

The 470 is not that hard to play on till you get bellow the staff. You'll get used to the larger bore quickly. IMO... This is coming from a guy who use a 472 bore trumpet on lead gigs.

If you've got the ability to play lead gigs, then it probably doesn't matter what bore horn you play on. It's a different thing entirely to put high school kids on them (which is what a majority of Spirit's lines were when they played the Kanstuls) AND then make them play on a CG3, which has a 24 throat (much larger, compared to the standard 27 throat on most trumpet mouthpieces).

Is the .470 bore the PowerBore line? I thought Spirit's trumpet/sop line put out some serious sound when they made the switch in 2001, was one of the few multi-key upper brass lines I liked in the early 2000s.

The PowerBore line is the G Bugle.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to give an approving nod to the quality of Kanstul trumpets and G soprano bugles. I have played on many of Zig Kanstul's instruments over my playing career from my first student model Old's cornet to Olds valve/rotor G bugles to Kanstul three valve G bugles to my Kanstul 1600WB trumpet (which I love). In my opinion, the guy just knows what he is doing from a craftsmanship aspect. Now the marketing and its related pricing issues appear to have taken their toll as far as the limited present drum corps utilization (though you can add the Marine Drum and Bugle corps to his list...I believe they use two valve G bugles).

As far as Yamaha goes, I don't have any personal experience as to their quality, but they certainly are very aggressive in their marketing which I think explains some of the predominance of their instrument lines in current corps. Just look at their Yamaha artist program. With such an impressive list of performers, one would certainly be led to believe that their instruments must be of superior quality. I am not sure how that translates to the non-professional instrument lines used by the top corps.

Just some food for thought. Anyone with observations relevant to these comments? :worthy:

Yamaha seems to be where it's at.

Yep! For both Brass and Percussion. Hands down.

I would like to give an approving nod to the quality of Kanstul trumpets and G soprano bugles. I have played on many of Zig Kanstul's instruments over my playing career from my first student model Old's cornet to Olds valve/rotor G bugles to Kanstul three valve G bugles to my Kanstul 1600WB trumpet (which I love). In my opinion, the guy just knows what he is doing from a craftsmanship aspect. Now the marketing and its related pricing issues appear to have taken their toll as far as the limited present drum corps utilization (though you can add the Marine Drum and Bugle corps to his list...I believe they use two valve G bugles).

Zig has "been there and done that" in the trumpet world -- working for Benge and Olds and having the foresight to save the bell mandrels from those companies when they went under. Also, don't foget that a ton of Kanstul's business is making components for other craftsmen, or producing complete instruments for them (Examples are Doc Severinsen's Destino, Smith-Watkins, Jerry Callet, Flip Oakes' Wild Thing, Zeus, and many more that I can't think of at the moment.)

The Kanstul horns are expensive and, IMO, the inability to work a drum deal with the horns is a negative. Now that Ludwig has redesigned their drums, we're seeing some corps go the King/Ludwig route (as opposed to Yamahas or DEG/Dynasty). Although, Spirit is now King/Pearl.

I am not sure how that translates to the non-professional instrument lines used by the top corps.

Just some food for thought. Anyone with observations relevant to these comments? :worthy:

The Yamaha trumpets are the pro quality Xenos.

If you've got the ability to play lead gigs, then it probably doesn't matter what bore horn you play on. It's a different thing entirely to put high school kids on them (which is what a majority of Spirit's lines were when they played the Kanstuls) AND then make them play on a CG3, which has a 24 throat (much larger, compared to the standard 27 throat on most trumpet mouthpieces).

I was in H.S. when I got that horn, but yeah. I had a double A by then. IMO, the time to get use to a .470 would be rather quick while in a corps. I had one student that used my .472 horn for a jazz concert and it only took him a few days to get ahold of it.

Now a CG3... THATS A PROBLEM! I expect them to be sharp as ####!

The PowerBore is a G bugle with a .468 bore.

The Yamaha trumpets are the pro quality Xenos.

Point of clarification requested...Are you saying that the Yamaha trumpets used by these division I corps are Xenos? This sounds very expensive!

OK. I wasn't sure if Kanstul carried the line over to the multi-key side of things.

Actually you'd be surprised, Jake's a pretty rational and smart guy. He has high standards, so what, who doesn't (god knows I do, and by god I mean science). Why are you even jumping on what he said. I see no reason to fuss.

I absolutely was not jumping on what he said - i was just making a simple observation :)

Like I said, he just comes off as very critical on here (of most groups).

I'm assuming these corps get them for free or at a huge discount

Discount price and 2 years of no payments. The money comes due at the 2 year mark were the corps has to find a way to dump their horns on the band market and start over with a fresh batch of horns. The question is will the band market ever get saturated leaving no place for Corps to sell their horns?