looking into colleges

So if I posted this in the wrong place, I apologize.

I'm a senior in high school, and planning to be a music ed. major. I live in alabama and have already applied to Montevallo and JSU (the two big music schools in state) But I want to look abroad too.

What are some of the higher end music ed schools in the country? Regardless of tuition, or anything else. what are THE schools to be in for music ed? Thanks guys.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if I posted this in the wrong place, I apologize.

I'm a senior in high school, and planning to be a music ed. major. I live in alabama and have already applied to Montevallo and JSU (the two big music schools in state) But I want to look abroad too.

What are some of the higher end music ed schools in the country? Regardless of tuition, or anything else. what are THE schools to be in for music ed? Thanks guys.

Go to U of Houston.

That is all.

University of Houston is probably the best music education school in the country.

If I were you, that would be my first choice.

I'm not sure how to tread into this without upsetting a lot of people so I'll leave my UH comments out. Other schools of note that have a vastly different approach from UH and produce very successful graduates are: The University of Texas, University of Michigan, and Indiana University. Not saying these are the only ones, just my personal choices.

Oh, man, I love this thread. It's getting my Cougar blood flowing.

But, yeah, I'm a freshman at University of Houston and I love my institution. I've been fortunate to go to high school and perform in a successful organization (2006 TMEA Honor Band, 2006 Midwest performing ensemble) and I've basically grown up with years education from UH from the many educators from UH coming to work with our band.

After choosing to pursue a music education degree, I knew there wasn't anywhere I would go except for UH, and I couldn't be happier with my decision. The staff and the instruction in every area, from concert ensemble to music theory to even marching band, is amazing and I believe the best of its kind.

In my opinion and experience, I can't think of anywhere else a music education student can go, especially in Texas, for a degree like UH can give. (Excuse my brochure-esqe rant. There are people that I'm in the process of convincing to enroll at UH, heh.)

Oh yeah, and Go Coogs!

Edited by King_ReMO

University of Houston is probably the best music education school in the country.

If I were you, that would be my first choice.

Ummmm....Cavalier bias aside, I'm sorry, but you're honestly quite wrong. That's simply not true.

CloudHype got it right. I saw that you're from Alabama. The two best music ed programs in the southeast are LSU and FSU. Both are very well rounded schools, with 30,000+ students, and highly renowned music programs. Good luck with everything.

Go Rice?

I'm pretty sure our program is mostly orchestrally focused... one of my good friends passed up on Juilliard to come study with a prof down here. But she's a cellist performance major, so that probably doesn't help you. In fact, I don't even think Rice has a music ed. program. I've heard Ithaca has a good music ed. program... talk to James on here (leadsop97) and he'll give you a pretty unbiased opinion.

But please, don't go to Cougar High (U of H)

Edited by TSRTS13