Rules Proposals

2007.4 - Allow electronic instruments  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Pass?

• Yes
    • No

Why not? Then we could have a good little "Chicago" concert. Maybe some Cherry Popping Daddies. A little ska with mic'd brass, saxes, and synths. Woo hoo.

And it's a "scoop". They don't work that well, but they do project a little bit; the same way a horn bell does.

Thanks, I just caught the typo myself, but oh well. I think I'll give it a rest now.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate "XXX is what it is..." - that's a cop-out. Drum corps is music made by the kids, and as an acoustic, instrumental activity, the kids are responsible for creating the sound that the instrument makes. When you allow anything like sampling, you remove that, and you have a *different idiom*. You can't challenge that... it is what it is.

(See how annoying that is?)

Drum corps is an idiom. The idiom is defined in broad terms as an acoustic activity. And as much as I didn't like vocal amplification, the kids still have to use their own voice in the process. Once you record something, and play it back, you fundamentally change the activity. Let me restate that - you FUNDAMENTALLY change the activity. Whether it's a synthesizer that creates sound based on an algorithm, or a sample that's pre-recorded, the responsibility of "quality of sound" is removed from the performers.

It's not symantics. This is a real, and defined line. There is no more larger chasm to leap over than this. There are only two defining truisms to drum corps that make it what it is known to be, and that is its instrumentation and its use of instruments by kids.

There are many things that we all care to disagree about on this forum, but if there is one very unifying thing, it's that we've all been struck by the beauty of the shows we've seen, and the magic and awe knowing that it's all kids. When you add electronics, it's not just kids. It's the paid symphonic player who was sampled by the pro audio engineer who sold the sample to the software company who got a licensing agreement to add it to their keyboard played by a kid activity. It loses a lot of charm that way...

No one's quoting me or arguing me, except in sarcasm... does this mean I win? b**bs

Mike - read back over all the posts from all the people that hate these proposed changes. You can't dismiss all of us with an elitist "irrelevant". It is DCI that will become irrelevant to most of us very soon. I'm pretty much there....

sure he can. it only enhances the opposing viewpoint

Irrelevant.

You know, Mike, you're probably a really nice guy. But using dismissive phrases like "irrelevant" kinda ticks me off. When I debate a point you've made, I try to explain my point of view, or offer some other rationale for my comments.

Dismissing my comments, and others, the way you do makes you come off as a pompous jerk. I would like to think that's not your intent. Tell me my gut feeling is right, and think about how your responses might be misunderstood.

Just saying something is irrelevant, or outright saying, "You're wrong" doesn't make it true. I know you don't put much weight on the polls here. Could it be because you're usually on the wrong end of the results? Would the poll have more relevance if it supported your view?

Garry in Vegas

sure he can. it only enhances the opposing viewpoint

True!

Mike - dont mind me - just carry on.....

Drum corps is not a Yanni concert!

:worthy: Sig updated. Brilliant!

But, keep in mind, Yanni done by Horns and Percussion sounds pretty good! :P

That's blasphemy, Mikey..may a lightning bolt strike your head

Edited by JMS0527

Um, Mr. Ream, wanna back me up here please?