Penalized for what?

Were Cavies on last? If there were no other corps following their performance, that might explain why.

Garry in Vegas

I thought Cavies played off in Atlanta but were not the final corps to perform. Maybe there was no ban on cadences there?

I don't see how it could bother other corps since most of them appear to be walking onto the field anyway and few seem to be "in step" when entering.

I don't see a problem with penalties. There are rules - they are written. Follow them and you won't get a penalty.

I agree with that. These days it seems harder and harder to get them anyway.

Edited by Tekneek

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or the "other" VFW rule could be used to break any ties. The one where Tony Schlecta would meet with the judges and "strongly suggest" which corps should win the VFW title that year. :P

Fran

Right ! Tony Schlecta made so many strong suggestions, that It created the Combine, and ended the VFW's control over Junior corps...

Right ! Tony Schlecta made so many strong suggestions, that It created the Combine, and ended the VFW's control over Junior corps...

No doubt that must be true. haha.

BUSH turning the wrong direction to troop the stands and nearly knock the trophy table over at finals was spell bounding. Cost them 2nd place.

SCV turning the wrong way to play to the winning corps sometime back in the '80. No penalty recieved just a major balling out from the staff. OMG and WTf was moment of the night. (An honest mistake but most embarrassing to the corps)

Mom

If you don't like the penalty you get, just gripe long enough until they remove it.

worked for SCV in 89 prelims.

and no, I am not still bitter LOL

what happened? I do remember something about have a couple of kids sneak into the corps with false docs from Britian. Check me if I'm wrong on that.

Mom

what happened? I do remember something about have a couple of kids sneak into the corps with false docs from Britian. Check me if I'm wrong on that.

Mom

Actually they had some kids step into the pit during the show so they had a .2 penalty for boundary violations.

That .2 would have had Regiment winning Prelims and beating SCV for the first time that year (in many years actually). They went and complained and got the penalty removed meaning they got to go on last at semis instead of us. In the long run it wasn't a big deal, I was really just kidding around.

On the issue of the over age members, they had 2 kids from the UK who had forged their documents. They got ratted out DCI week. technically SCV should have been disqualified from competing at finals as back then you had to compete in a regional to qualify and due to the overage members all of their regional appearences would have been DQ'd. But no one in their right mind would have dropped them from finals for something like that.

As a member of Regiment that year I can honestly say it would not have been worth winning if SCV had not been allowed to compete.

Okay, here's what I've been told by someone who wasn't judging that show but knows the rules.

One reason a corps MIGHT be penalized is if they continued played after going past the goal line. The rule USED to be that the Contest Director would set the parameters for playing or not playing off the field. If a corps were allowed to play off the field, they had to stop playing at the goal line or there would be a penalty assessed.

I don't know for sure if that was the situation in this case.

Actually they had some kids step into the pit during the show so they had a .2 penalty for boundary violations.

That .2 would have had Regiment winning Prelims and beating SCV for the first time that year (in many years actually). They went and complained and got the penalty removed meaning they got to go on last at semis instead of us. In the long run it wasn't a big deal, I was really just kidding around.

On the issue of the over age members, they had 2 kids from the UK who had forged their documents. They got ratted out DCI week. technically SCV should have been disqualified from competing at finals as back then you had to compete in a regional to qualify and due to the overage members all of their regional appearences would have been DQ'd. But no one in their right mind would have dropped them from finals for something like that.

As a member of Regiment that year I can honestly say it would not have been worth winning if SCV had not been allowed to compete.

I thought the penalty was because the pit used the masks during Masqurade, which the judge considered to be "guard equipment", so they were hit with the penalty (that was later removed).