1st contracts

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My rookie, rookie year (first year, first corps) I was very excited. When the mello tech was joking around saying, "You're CUTE without the E," I took him seriously. He laughed and said he liked my personality and welcome to the corps. That was a relief.

Last year when I received my contract I don't know if I was excited per say. Before we went to talk to the caption head individually, I had been told the day before I'd be on the field with them that summer. I was just glad I had a home for the year. What do you know? I ended up coming back this year. I think I was more excited than last year because I'm more comfortable in this environment. I felt more sure of myself from the very beginning. I never had a thought of being cut.

LOL did you end up playing for that symphony brass thing? How did auditions end up for you?

-Weedy

having marched back in the good ole days I have no idea what a contract is. can't recall ever signing anything when I marched. everyone turned in a copy of their birth certificate but that was about it. I do seem to recall if you were with a corps after a certain date and wished to go to another you needed to be released from your current corps. anyone else remember that? I am talking about back in the 80s

True. This went as far back as the 60s IIRC. It kept corps from 'stealing' one another's members just before the season started.

LOL did you end up playing for that symphony brass thing? How did auditions end up for you?

-Weedy

I wanted to go to that so badly, but financially it wasn't feasible. I was invited back, and thought about it long, and hard before certain factors guided me back to my previous corps. I love them too much to leave them.

Edit: I marched at Teal with a few people at Spirit. CJ, a contra player, is a great person to get to know. Just tell her Peter sent you. Shane, a baritone player, also marched with me. He's an interesting character that probably has a bunch of stories about me. :) I've never heard bad things about Spirit. From instructors, to people i used to march with, they've all loved it there. You'll have a great summer I'm sure.

Edited by Phirefenix

In my first corps they just kept you around until nobody was left. When I made it to division 1 they actually had us sign contracts ahead of time and then we got an email on whether we were in or not (this is this year.) Waiting for that email can be just as nerve wrecking because you had to wait the whole week instead of that weekend.

Edited by marchinalong8

last year in January I got an alternate spot, and I was really happy to still be there (I play saxophone, only been playing baritone a short time). And they didn't fill the whole line, so I thought if I could keep getting better, I might get a spot. Then at the beginning of April on Sunday morning, we were playing outside in arc and we were dismissed to go back inside, and as I was gathering my stuff and the caption head called me over and told me I had a spot! I was really excited, but not much celebrating to do, as the hornline was already back inside setting the arc, doh, lol.