Perfect Caption Scores...

Although Unrath was usually one of the better brass judges, I'm not sure where his 10.0 score for 27th came from <<ducks to avoid objects being thrown>>. The score was nearly a point higher than anyone else had received so far that evening, and was .3 higher than Madison's score who took high bugles. Granted, that was a great 27th horn line, but to give out a 10.0 that early in the competition was a bit rash, don't you think, considering there was plenty of room to leave a pretty big gap between what he had already handed out for scores?

Likewise with the 10.0 in GE M&M. The judge had to tie TWO other scores with 27th because he didn't leave room.

I realize both scores can be justified - 27th's 1975 show was one of the most exciting performances ever witnessed at a DCI finals. (The audience went NUTS!!!!!!!). My comments are not to diminish the corps performance (see my signature). They are a comment on the G.E. captions and the way they were judged at the time.

Edited by A27Lancer

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That line of thinking has always boggled me. Don't make the mistake and recovery isn't necessary.

Then again, the old standard always applies: If the judge didn't see it (or hear it)...as in they might have been focused on something else at the time, or in mid-thought while making commentary on the tape...then it never happened. It is what it is.

Just going by what's online at fromthepressbox.com. Maybe they got the captions wrong.

http://www.fromthepressbox.com/19750816div1finals.htm

Wow! Thanks for posting that. From the pressbox is INCORRECT (see my previous post). I don't mean to make a big stink about it, but for the record the Scouts did not get a 9.7 in GE Brass (we got a 10), nor did we get a 10 in GE M&M (we got a 9.7). SCV had a perfect 30, 10s across the board, while 2-7 got a 9.7 in GE drums and perfect 10s in both brass and M&M GE. I have other recaps that will confirm it (eg, 1976 DCI Yearbook).

Actually, Scouts and SCV had perfect 10s in GE Brass (2-7 had a 9.7). Also, SCV and 2-7 had perfect 10s in GE M&M (Scouts had a 9.7). You're correct about GE percussion.

Blue Stars got a 5.0 and 4.9 in Drum Exposure to Error in '75. That's pretty close to perfect..... B)

Blue Devils repeated the 5.0/4.9 in '76.

Oakland-Crusaders repeated the 5.0/4.9 in '77.

Edited by uncle z

To Everyone:

I screwed up!! :rolleyes: I flipped the GE Brass scores with the GE M+M scores. That has now been corrected.

1975 DCI Finals

Please forgive me.

You might see dead people...I see decimal points!!

Go Devils,

Gregg

w/Stp:

No prob, Greg. Keep up the good work!

Actually, there were SEVEN perfect General Effect caption scores given out at the 1975 DCI Finals.

Madison, SCV, and 27th Lancers all got a perfect 10 in GE M&M.

Madison and SCV both got perfect 10's in GE Percussion.

And SCV and 27th both got perfect 10's in GE Brass.

Insanity.

wow. holy numbers management

I'm a percussionist in his first year of winterguard, and it is alot easier to drop than you might believe.

Not to mention that if you are in guard and you make a mistake, whether it is a drop or you are out of sync with the rest of the guard, it is highly visual and everyone can see it. Horn players and percussionists can make several individual errors in one show and never be known because they can be buried in the sound of the rest of the section. Or the musicians can lay out when they are supposed to be playing (say they are having a bad night and they know it), which is not an "error" per se, but the guard MUST perform 100% of the show or they cause errors to be visualized. Talk about pressure.

So even if there were 5 drops in the Cavies show in 2002, their perfect score is no different than the other perfect scores in recent years. Surely no one believes that the Blue Devils brass line in 2004 quarter finals had zero mistakes in an 11 1/2 minute show? They were good, no doubt, but...

Or, maybe the guard judge even noticed the drops and still believed that even with those mistakes their content and performance was better than the rest? In a subjective system, that's highly possible.

Wow! Thanks for posting that. From the pressbox is INCORRECT (see my previous post). I don't mean to make a big stink about it, but for the record the Scouts did not get a 9.7 in GE Brass (we got a 10), nor did we get a 10 in GE M&M (we got a 9.7). SCV had a perfect 30, 10s across the board, while 2-7 got a 9.7 in GE drums and perfect 10s in both brass and M&M GE. I have other recaps that will confirm it (eg, 1976 DCI Yearbook).

That makes more sense...