Perfect Caption Scores...

In DCI History, what were the perfect caption scores? Do you agree with it?

The only perfect score I've heard of was the Blue Devils' brass (I think) in their 2004 show. I can neither agree nor disagree with it because I wasn't at the show (live), and I don't necessarily know what to look for in scoring/judging a show.

Thanks!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1985 Garfield Cadets - Perfect Score in Percussion Effect and Visual Ensemble

1986 Blue Devils - Perfect Score in Ensemble Music

1987 Garfield Cadets - Perfect score in Percussion Effect, Field and Ensemble Performance Percussion.

1997 Blue Devils - Perfect Visual Performance Score in Semifinals.

1998 The Cadets - Perfect Visual Performance Score

2002 The Cavaliers - in Visual Effect, Guard and Music Ensemble

2004 Blue Devils - Brass Performance in Quarterfinals

Only the ones I know off the top of my head.

I don't agree with perfect scores, but they don't mean a bit that they were perfect. Perfect scores are due to bad number management, the judge started too high, thus was forced to give a perfect score, even though there weren't enough space to give higher than a perfect score.

I disagree with 2002 Cavaliers' guard scores the most, since there were about 5 drops during their finals performance.

Though I disagree with perfect scores, I would like to give mention to 1998 Cadets for their visual performance, not perfect, but certainly in my opinion the best marching performance that DCI has ever seen. Aggressive yet relaxed, confident and really bold for having stripes down their bright pants.

Edited by BaritoneBamBam

1986 Blue Devils - Perfect Score in Ensemble Music

There was not an "Ensemble Music" caption in 86...and BD had no "perfect" scores in that year.

1987 Garfield Cadets - Perfect score in Percussion Effect, Field and Ensemble Performance Percussion.
True..a 10 in GE Perc...and a 20 in Perc Performance, or "Field Percussion". But, that's it.

This has been discussed a lot, but essentially, thinking of a 20 as a "perfect" score is misleading. It's a maximum score, which is very different.

No one's saying anything about perfection, since that's impossible. What a judge says with a 20 (other than poor number management, this DOES happen) is that as far as this particular judge is concerned, this section of the corps performed at essentially the highest level the judge could expect virtually anyone to perform at.

Mistakes are considered, but then again, so is recovery, demand, achievement, etc . .

Santa Clara scored a perfect 30 in GE in 1975, when GE brass, GE Drums, and GE Marching were each based on a 10 point system

Edited by john2780

There were no perfect scores in 89

Closest anyone got was Regiment scoring a 19.9 in GE Brass and Vanguard scoring a 14.9 in Perc. Perf.

Thanks - Did SCV win drums in 89 though?