The Case for Woodwinds in Drum Corps

Sure it does...just about every change to the instrumentation has been to make drum corps more aligned with band instrumentation. This is no different, just one more step.
This step changes drum corps into marching band...

...without the unique sound of a drum corps.

A few years ago there was a Dixieland quartet at Knott's Berry Farm. During their breaks they'd play around with other ideas, and eventually decided to form a surf band. Did they use trumpet, banjo and tuba? No. The trumpet player switched to keys, the banjo player played electric guitar, and the tuba player played electric bass. The only one who didn't change instruments was the drummer.

The banjo and trumpet players used to perform with the "Jazz Minors" at disneyland. The tuba player marched VK, and the drummer marched Anaheim Kingsmen.

How many surf band gigs do you think they would have gotten with a banjo and a tuba?

They changed to suit the genre of music.

Also, it is not DCI's mission to create a anything-goes division. The all-age corps that are associated with DCI had to pull teeth to get an all-age division, but at least they're drum corps.

Let someone else create an independent organization dedicated to marching bands. But do some research first to avoid the same results as SBI. And remember, SBI had DCI's blessing, too. That's why they competed before the drum corps at west coast shows...when most fans were in the parking lot while the corps warmed up.

Garry

Drum corps will NEVER be marching bands because they rehearse all day every day for 3 months.
So, the difference between a drum corps and a marching band is the amount of time they practice?

Nope, that just means they will be very good marching bands. Nothing wrong with marching bands wanting to be that good and putting in that time, but there is more to the differnces between the two. A marching band can emulate the unique style of a drum corps, but cannot reproduce the unique sound.

It is the uniqueness that differentiates the two. :laugh:

Sure it does...just about every change to the instrumentation has been to make drum corps more aligned with band instrumentation. This is no different, just one more step.

Changes to corps instruments that make them more like MB I can see. But adding a new section of instruments (in this case WWs) is (IMO again) different.

Or to go back to my usual bagpipe band comparison: Bagpipes and drums have been modified over the years with plastic drum heads, plastic pipes, etc. But adding a new type of instrument has not been done.

Drum corps will NEVER be marching bands because they rehearse all day every day for 3 months.

I have a serious question, IOW not flaming you: Is the amount of time and effort members put in the only difference you see between Drum Corps and Marching Bands?

I have a serious question, IOW not flaming you: Is the amount of time and effort members put in the only difference you see between Drum Corps and Marching Bands?

Yes. The summer ability to tour and rehearse and focus on one single activity is the difference between the fall band activity and summer drum corps.

Yes. The summer ability to tour and rehearse and focus on one single activity is the difference between the fall band activity and summer drum corps.

Oh I think I know your feelings Mike :P and sure you know we don't flame each other.

Question was intended for jetman1287.

Doesn't matter what anyone says here. DCI killed drum corps years ago, back in the '70s. They killed it in the name of greed and control. No matter what anyone else says, even MikeD's No, it didn't/Yes, it did/No, it didn't/Yes, it did/did not/did so/did not...etc., arguments don't change that fact.

It's not if woodwinds should be allowed, this is DCI, it's when.

Go to the DCA All Age Historical forum, and see if you agree with this topic.

"I wish there was a SPTDBCA"

Look, I have not bothered to read all the replies on this post, BUT, allow me to proselytize for a moment...

If you want to add woodwinds under the umbrella of opening up the activity to students that do not WANT to learn a brass instrument...then why not open DCI up to kazoo players that have not had the time to learn a woodwind...or asthmatic banjo players that can not play a wind instrument at all.

Heck, while we are at it, why not open it up to anyone. What? You don't play an instrument and you don't spin a flag or dance? That's OK...we will put you out there. You are just as deserving as everyone else that spent the time to learn a skill to be here.

What? You are only 5'2"? Well, you DESERVE to be a PRO basketball player. Who cares if you were not naturally gifted nor did you spend the time to develop skills that would help you overcome these deficiencies! C'mon in!

Seriously!

If woodwind players want to start a DCI-like group that excludes brass, feel free to do so! But to suggest that a unique organization should change the tenents upon which it was founded...absurd and selfish!

...rant off...