The Case for Woodwinds in Drum Corps

Really, it is that simple. I'm amazed the "we already have marching bands" point is overlooked so easily by so many. I listen to a choir to hear vocalists. I listen to a string quartet to hear strings. I listen to a brass quintet to hear brass. I listen to a wind ensemble to here winds and percussion. I listen to an orchestra to hear winds, percussion, and strings. I listen/watch a marching band to hear/see brass, woodwinds, percussion, and guard. I listen/watch a drum corps to hear/see brass, percussion, and guard.

i second the motion.

can i 6th through infinitieth (dont know how you would spell that) the motion, even though i seconded it.

p.s. sorry about my poor english, i wasnt much of an english wiz in high school.

You make good points in most of the things you say (though I disagree completely), but this is a bit over-the-top. Who said BOA wants to form one? Who says DCI does? You seem to be saying that it's not good enough unless DCI does it.

How is it over the top? I was responding to this statement:

If BOA wants to expand into summer competition, let them set up their own circuit.

I don't think BOA has suggested that, to the best of my knowledge.

IMO there IS a summer circuit in existence that is the best place to create a new divsion...DCI..and no, I don't think that they want to form another circuit either. Heck, they are not looking to add WW at the time...it's just MHO that they should as part of this topic of discussion.

Another twist. Read again for comprehension. If they want band in summer, they should build it themselves, not co-opt drum corps.

This thread is, I thought, about our own opinions on the topic. I don't BOA (who I assume is the 'they') wanting to move to the summer. I don't really see DCI adding WW either at this time. It's just MHO that they should. I don't understand the vitriol over stating an opinion.

So you're all for choice, but in a world with hundreds of bands, you want 50% less div 1 corps on current instrumentation, leaving, what, nine? How many woodwind etc bands are out there already? You say 2,000,000 band kids? Sure - you are all for freedom of choice. Good choices for you and the rest of the Hoppy vision followers, drastically reduced choices for the rest of us.

There are zero marching bands of the caliber of DCI Div I. How is adding an option for corps reducing choices? I fail to see that one at all.

I lived through a lot of those years and I don't remember one synthesizer on the field. I remember acoustic brass and percussion.......

Irrelevant. Change is slow and continuous. To get to Z from A you go through the rest of the alphabet over time. Mallets were first added as carried instruments and eventually grounded, as an example, as were timpani. Horns had first one valve, then a slipslide...rotor...two-valves...three valves...then multi-key.

Drills first permitted a corps to start on the back sideline...still had to exit...then start anywhere...still exit, with a return possible...then ending anywhere and starting anywhere.

It takes time. One change begets another. Until grounding of timps and mallets was allowed, the expansion of the percussion into what there is today was not possible, as an example.

for tubacurt - excellent post and thanks for posting.

There is a need for drum corps to BE drum corps in order for it to be what it is/was/will be, which, past, present and future, is all about brass, percussion, and the need to connect with the audience, and woodwinds, as fine as they are musically, does not "fit" with drum corps as it has been, and will (hopefully) always be.

I disagree. There is a need for drum corps to be whatever the powers-that-be decide it will be. IMO it should expand to include WW and electronics. The WW piece is far away, also IMO, but it is MHO that they belong.

How is it over the top? I was responding to this statement:

I don't think BOA has suggested that, to the best of my knowledge.

IMO there IS a summer circuit in existence that is the best place to create a new divsion...DCI..and no, I don't think that they want to form another circuit either. Heck, they are not looking to add WW at the time...it's just MHO that they should as part of this topic of discussion.

I disagree Mike. If George thought he could get wws in today, there would be a proposal. The proposals he is making is paving the way for wws. It is not only his vision but his goal. He does not stop pushing for what he wants until he gets it. So, yes Mike, I think they are looking to add wws.