The Case for Woodwinds in Drum Corps

My opinions are my own, but my recommendations take other people's views into account.

These forums are for the exchange of opinions, and I have yet to see you take MY POV into account.

It is arrogant to proclaim that an entire organization should change regardless of how few people want (or benefit from) said change.

No it's not...it's just MHO. And, you have NO way to know how many support or do not support the changes. Plus, it makes no difference, as the DCI BOD is the body charged with passing changes, not you or me or anyone else here.

BTW...there is no WW change proposed, so this is ALL about opinion.

Sure you only used it once...to refer to everything said by everyone who disagrees with you... I never called you lazy.

Hmm...you did say these things in this thread....bold is mine...

You don't get it toph. He wants it. He wants it all. He wants it all right now. He doesn't want to adapt to it, he wants it to adapt to him. He will be mad if it doesn't. Guess what, that's the american way...the attitude of being given everything without having to do anything .
They choose not to because, like you , if they can't have it all right now, they'd rather sulk and complain than work harder .

Sounds to me like you are calling him lazy.

Let what go?

The crusade to morph drum corps into band. I'm thinking more of Hop here than you personally as you are not putting the proposals in, but you are banging the woodwind, amp, guitar, saxaphone drum as loud as anyone. Opinions are fine. I'm sick of wondering what's going to happen to something I love (used to love) each year. I'd love a moratorium on rule changes while the dust settles from the last round and some serious consideration of whether it was truly a good or a bad idea was taken.

Original post: 1) To expand to more people. 2) Better show design.

WW do not add up to better show design. This is a leap of perspective that escapes logic. Some drum corps cannot even fill their ranks, so there appears to be plenty of room for more people. I am sure Div II and III could stand alot more participation. Your arguements are so weak and thin, I could place cheese and lunchmeat between them and still see light.

Where does that include a whining woodwind player? There was no point in your personal attack on the commitment of a person you don't know, as if I don't have the motivation to learn a new instrument. I have already stated several times that I will be for woodwinds in drum corps long after I switch to baritone and march for two summers, and that my personal situation has little to do with that opinion.

And I will be around to counter your support of WW in drum corps. If you are so interested in WW, support BOA and leave drum corps alone

I sense a bit of arrogance here about your past, much like a lot of the members that have responded similarly.

Get your senses checked. Don't twist hard work and determination for arrogance. Arrogance is trying to change something to fit your needs, rather than working with what is already there.

Edited by deftguy

Sorry, but I think for myself. I don't base my opinions on the opinions of others. Do you?

How is that arrogant?

An artifical limitation on what has been happening....and will continue to happen. There have been consciopus decisions to move toward instrumentation used by bands....they just need to keep on keeping on and all will be fine.

Any rule made is an artificial limitation. Time limits are an artificial limitation. Size is an artificial limitation. Using a football field is an artificial limitation.

Why do they need to keep going for all to be fine? If the powers that be decide they don't want wws, will all not be fine?

Why do they need to keep going for all to be fine? If the powers that be decide they don't want wws, will all not be fine?

Well, IMO DCI is pretty fine right now...and there are no WW. In fact, I don't see a proposal for them.

I'd like to see WW, electronics, etc...in DCI, but it in no way means I think less of DCI because they are NOT there.

The crusade to morph drum corps into band. I'm thinking more of Hop here than you personally as you are not putting the proposals in, but you are banging the woodwind, amp, guitar, saxaphone drum as loud as anyone. Opinions are fine. I'm sick of wondering what's going to happen to something I love (used to love) each year.

Well, spouting opinions is what these forums are all about. I have zero to do with what DCI decides to do, so whatever I say is irrelevant to what they decide to do. I happen to like the overall direction they have been taking, including the inclusion of old-time drum corps via the Classic Countdown, both of which I have attended, as well as the performances by the alumni corps at big shows. Mhy 'like' also includes amps for both pit and voice.

I'd love a moratorium on rule changes while the dust settles from the last round and some serious consideration of whether it was truly a good or a bad idea was taken.

Why? If one or more directors decides they do not like something that was passed they can put forth a proposal to repeal it. No need to stifle/delay future changes, IMO.

Let what go? These forums are just for folks to bat their ideas back and forth. Why the need to shut someone up who has a differing opinion than those of the 'norm' on DCP?
I agree. I don't let go of my "vision" and won't accept someone telling me to let it go, as many have tried. You never told anyone to let it go (but maybe you thought it :ph34r: )
As for the idea of what 'we' and/or the 'majority' want, attendance is great at shows...lots of new fans as well as legacy fans, at least at the ones I attend and from what I read here.
Obviously debatable, as people are debating it.
The DCI BOD is charged charged itself with making the decisions that affect DCI...
For good or bad, this is the truth.

Hmm...you did say these things in this thread....bold is mine...

Sounds to me like you are calling him lazy.

There is a difference in saying someone is lazy and someone isn't willing to work hard enough to acquire their goal. I don't know this person or his/her work ethic. However, s/he is asking for a fundimental in an entire organization to acquire a goal, instead of making an individual change to acquire that goal. That's different from plain laziness. It is an expectancy of a right to not change, and have others change to suit the individual.

There is a difference in saying someone is lazy and someone isn't willing to work hard enough to acquire their goal. I don't know this person or his/her work ethic. However, s/he is asking for a fundimental in an entire organization to acquire a goal, instead of making an individual change to acquire that goal. That's different from plain laziness. It is an expectancy of a right to not change, and have others change to suit the individual.

Hmmmm....not sure I buy that one, but OK.

All the person is asking for is the ability to have the same DCI opportunity as others on his chosen instrument. I happen to agree that he should have that chance.

However, I do not see it happening any time soon.