The Case for Woodwinds in Drum Corps

saying woodwinds should be allowed in drum corps is like saying guys should be able to use the ladies restroom and vice versa.

nuff said

Except the courts have said that ladies CAN use mens rooms when there are long lines for the ladies room. :ph34r:

fine, replace restrooms with locker rooms..........

i know its the ^0^ in me.....hehehe

I have looked at this arguement from every angle put over the past few years. Simply put...keep woodwinds out of drum corps. PERIOD!! Thank you have a nice day B)

I have looked at this arguement from every angle put over the past few years. Simply put...let woodwinds in drum corps. PERIOD!! Thank you have a nice day B)

^0^

This is the metaphor I like to use for having WWs in drum corps. I realize this thread is pretty much done, but I want to get my opinion in here. :)

I'm a huge baseball fan. The only problem is, I'm not very good. So I try out for my high school team in my freshman year of high school. I don't make it.

Here, I have three options.

1. Practice my butt off to learn the game better and make it my next year.

2. Find a different avenue to get involved in baseball.

3. Sulk and whine to the High School Baseball league to get them to make them force teams to have worse players on the teams, or create a new division for the "bad" players.

I chose number two. I'm now the sports editor for my school newspaper, and am planning to major in sports journalism and/or sports management so I can pursue a career in baseball, at a completely different level than I had originally imagined for myself. And you know what? I wouldn't trade it for anything.

My point? If a woodwind player really loves drum corps, he/she can either learn a different instrument to march (the horror!), later tech/administrate a corps, or go to a few shows a year.

Why change? I wouldn't want MLB to change its rules just so I can play in it.

Except the courts have said that ladies CAN use mens rooms when there are long lines for the ladies room. :ph34r:

That's interesting. Can you point me to the decision? Was this a federal decision? If this is law of the land, this might be something worth sticking in my wife's purse just in case she might ever need to make use of it.

For me, it is the combination of brass and percussion, unleashed outdoors, that holds a unique attraction to me.

Yes. If any competing band circuit set their instrumentation to that same combination of brass and percussion, it would hold that same attraction to me.

....heh....

I see where you were going with this post, and it is worth acknowledging that the quality increase achieved by spending 11 weeks doing drum corps full-time is another attraction that division I drum corps has. But division II/III units don't do that, and I'm crazy for them too. DCA corps are weekend-only efforts, yet they're just as captivating to me. Modern-day competitive marching band, good as it is, doesn't have that same effect on me, and it won't even if perfected in three weeks of all-days and an eight-week tour.

This is exactly how I feel, Matt... I'm gonna have to agree to disagree with you on this one...

By the way, I still owe you that disc... I kinda forgot about it. My bad! :)

Edited by Keith Laubhan

That's interesting. Can you point me to the decision? Was this a federal decision? If this is law of the land, this might be something worth sticking in my wife's purse just in case she might ever need to make use of it.
I did some searching but couldn't find it. I just recall, a number of years ago, that two women felt they could not hold it long enough to wait in the women's line and went into the men's room. I don't recall if it was the facility that sued them, or if they sued the facility for attempting to prohibit them from using the men's room, but the women won.

First, let me say I'm 100% against woodwinds of any type.

Second, no matter how you slice it, drum and bugle corps were founded and have been based on the simple requirement that they have nothing beyond brass and percussion.

Third, fundamentally changing instrumentation would require driving a huge, seismic wedge in a niche community.

Fourth, the appeal of drum and bugle corps is that this is a brass-centric activity. It is absurd to believe that the fans in this activity don't appreciate the power of all-brass.

Fifth, fundamentally altering the sound of drum corps with woodwinds would require larger ensembles, further endangering the activity.

Finally, we talk a lot about tradition in this forum, and the breakneck pace by which we breeze past it in drum corps at times. It's very true that tradition is upset by a lot of things, but it has made drum corps better for many. Multi-key comes to mind. It made drum corps better, even though we eschewed the bugle. However, it did not fundamentally adjust the sport.

Brass + Percussion + Guard + Movement + Touring = Drum Corps

Any alteration to this fundamental equation, and you alter the state of drum corps.

IF, and there's not, but IF there was a market for this, you have a drum corps that is on the bleeding edge of wanting woodwinds - The Cadets. If there is indeed a market, and a desire, then let them be it. Let them take the plunge. If this is so great an idea, allow The Cadets to spread the gospel one summer in exhibition. Or let them strike out on their own and be the best #### band in the land. Personally, I'd love to see what they would do with it, but NOT at the expense of changing the drum and bugle corps activity as a whole.

Let there be a marching band division of one, and let the people calling for change be the one to bet their organization on it. I see FOOL'S GOLD, as do many, many others. Let them be the flag-bearers, and let them live and die by woodwinds. If they are that compelling, let's see it on a field.

Interesting that the "Best #### Band in the Land" is traditionally considered to be the Ohio State University Marching Band...and they don't have woodwinds...