DCA:THE VOTE

He now writes for, instructs and marches with Park City.

I lOve Park City!

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he means the show sponsor....

Which brings up anoter weakness in the system....you have 2 of teh top 3 Class A corps -- one of whom the current champ -- with no vote.

If I understand this correctly, the new rule ensures that no class A unit will ever have a vote in DCA.

Hi all,

Just catching up...

To the folks that argue that Sousaphones are not legal, here is the current rule:

"A bugle, for purposes of DCA competition, is a bell front brass instrument pitched in the ANY KEY.

The number of valves, either rotary or piston in any combination, is limited to three, excepting the

contrabass bugle which may have four. A slide may be employed to also change pitch as well. The

length of any such slide is limited to a length which lowers pitch by no more than a major second."

This has been modified so that other 4 valve instruments can be used, but, in my reading of this, a Sousaphone would be legal. Not that I would ever put one on the field, but I would freakin' LOVE it if someone did. But that is because I am a rabble-rouser.

On the subject of eligibility for I&E, the current rule states:

"All contestants must be a member of an all-age competitive corps past or present, or active

member of an all-age Alumni Corps."

This is pretty broad.

On the subject of Frank Dorittie:

He rocks!

I have no comment on the size issue. Not because someone told me not to talk, but because I truly have nothing to say about it.

I have no comment on the size issue. Not because someone told me not to talk, but because I truly have nothing to say about it.

Chris, you're not talking about the move to limit the size of DCA horn players to 6 feet 8 inches tall, are you?

Then of course, we would have the "Big Ken exception" for the CorpsVets........ :P

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Hi all,

Just catching up...

To the folks that argue that Sousaphones are not legal, here is the current rule:

"A bugle, for purposes of DCA competition, is a bell front brass instrument pitched in the ANY KEY.

The number of valves, either rotary or piston in any combination, is limited to three, excepting the

contrabass bugle which may have four. A slide may be employed to also change pitch as well. The

length of any such slide is limited to a length which lowers pitch by no more than a major second."

This has been modified so that other 4 valve instruments can be used, but, in my reading of this, a Sousaphone would be legal. Not that I would ever put one on the field, but I would freakin' LOVE it if someone did. But that is because I am a rabble-rouser.

"All contestants must be a member of an all-age competitive corps past or present, or active

This is pretty broad.

He rocks!

Thanks for the clarification, Bob.

Everyone else - looks like we missed our chance!

^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

Thanks for the clarification, Bob.

Everyone else - looks like we missed our chance!

^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

For our mini-corps use, I recently inquired, through Dick Pronti; re: use of Upright Tuba and Sousaphone.

Was informed that he checked with the Brass Caption Head and that neither was legal.

Makes good sence to me.

Just checking to see what our options were.

Edited by brassomaniac

This is pretty broad.

He rocks!

Actually sent in for I&E last year but had to stay home that weekend due to family situations. :( There is a line on the entry form for your past or present corps affiliation. Not sure what they do for people like me who list more than one corps but think Barb was going to decide that one for me. :wub: (Barb and I marched together a "few" years ago.)

Frank's helpful too.....

And finally "size" of what? Thus sayeth the 5'6" Bari. :P